Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a Swiss Army portable preamp/DI/headphone unit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am looking for a small portable unit that can do at least 3 things WELL. I would like to find something that functions as a quality DI box, a good sounding headphone amp, and has the option of practicing along with recorded music or a drum machine.

I know of the EBS unit, is there anything else that is not over 600 bucks? If you know of anything, please post away.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You can get the ebs for much less than $600. I got mine from Club Bass in Toronto - had to do some subterfuge though. They won't sell EBS stuff to the US, due to distributor arrangements in the US so I got someone in Canada (hi Alex!) to buy it and ship it to me.

I think the price went up recently, but last time I saw the EBS was $400 CAD at clubbass.

I can't think of another unit that does all those things.

3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

The Phil Jones bass buddy seems to have a lot of features and is really compact. Not sure if it's out yet.

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I've played through a nice PJB combo unit, hope it sounds similar....how does the EBS stuff sound? Is the DI quality? Thanks Marc

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I like the EBS a LOT. Two channel, the overdrive built in is good and the headphone facilities are very useful.

I haven't used the DI yet, my main band is on a summer hiatus so we haven't been gigging the last month. But based on my experiences with other EBS gear, I've no reason to think it's anything other than quality.