1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking for a synth pedal that can arpeggiate w/out any input source

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 10, 2009.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ok, bear with me folks. i need a pedal that i can use as a synth source without any input from any other instrument (i.e. bass).

the reason is i have vocoder capability in my boss se70 - it needs a vocal input on one channel and a synth input on the other and then i get vocoder output from them (link below is an example, it's the intro to a lord only tune from our 2nd cd.)

http://lordonly.net/Mp3s/EDTestMix/dc1.wma

in this example i used a keyboard to provide the sound source, but i'd rather not have to do that in the final run - would be sweet just to have a stompbox i could turn on to provide the synth that i needed for the se70 to spit out the vocoder goodness i want.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Hmm, maybe someone else has an idea that I didn't think of, but I think you may be out of luck John.

There are harmonizers that can be set to specific intervals and even some that can go through patterns, but I don't know of one that could be programmed with the specificity that you'd need.

All vocoders are going to operate in a similar fashion. The new EHX Voice Box included.

Of course, there are plenty of "tone generator" type pedals, but they'd need to be controlled the same as a keyboard in terms of changing pitch appropriately which defeats the purpose you're proposing.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the tone generators might be ok, in a pinch. i don't really need -that- much control over the synth aspect, just a synth tone source to provide the formants for the vocoder.

i said an arpeggiator only because i figured i could set it to cycle through some notes that would be in the desired key and it would give the vocoder output a bit more character.

what's a good tone gen pedal? and i'm going to have to look up this vocoder pedal you speak of. i love the boss se70 vocoder, but it's also a great effects unit, and i'd love to have a dedicated vocoder i could use.

i guess, worst comes to worst, i could use one of my old synth brains and dirve it off my taurus wannabe elka controller heh, but i use that to actually produce synth pads a lot of times when i am using the vocoder, so it's sorta occupied :/

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    well it's not much of a convenience, but you could get a modular sequencer/arpeggiator unit (look at analogue haven, for instance) and use that to program a tone generating pedal with a CV input. Of course, at that point you are making a modular synth, but it COULD fit on a pedalboard, I suppose

Hey here's an idea for you: DSI MoPho!

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Well, you could always use something like the ZVex Ringtone, simply using the carrier frequency as your tone generator. That could work for what you're proposing.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ehx voice box is win. that will be joining my rig. sweet, can liberate the se70 for other duties.

still need to get a tone generator though. hmm.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that mopho is sweet. a little bit overkill, but yeah, that's sorta what i'm talking about.

that analogue haven website is great. heh.

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I'm working on one. :ninja:

It generates sine, triangle and square waves. You can control amplitude and frequency of two waves. And each wave has an LFO that you can sweep the frequency of.

9. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I was at Noisebug (used to be Analogue Haven, now the two are separate entities) in Pomona last weekend and bought a Mopho. Just wanted to second RC that it can do what you're asking for and actually now that I have spent some time with it, it is in some ways a killer value. (last night I used it to program a rhythmic tremolo that was midi clock sync'd, for instance)

10. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    see what I'm talkin about?

it IS overkill, but I doubt you'll save much cash shopping around for fewer features. I've seen these go for 3 bills used. why haven't i bought one? GREAT question

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that sounds like great fun. keep me in the loop. ha ha. i'm such a comedian :D.

but seriously, yeah, keep me posted.

12. That is brilliant. You should definitely visit this place more often. :D

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i lurk a lot, but everytime i start really getting into some discussion, about to post, i gotta pull back. if i commit, i won't be able to afford the consequences.

it's sorta like when i was dating in college. :atoz:

14. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I'm still trying figure how far I want to take it. I'd like to be able to let an instrument have some sort of control over the waveforms. I found a bug I think can do that but I haven't gotten around to testing it yet. I need to take it into work and look at the output on a scope.

I'm not going to go too crazy with it. It sounds great already when using my pedalboard. I'm relying on my pedals to do octaves, delay, filtering, distorting, etc. My goal is have this cost less than ~$70 worth of parts.

15. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    thinking outside the box here... how about bass>synth pedal + a loop station? that way you can arpeggiate yourself, record that and vocode on top of that?

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the problem with that, though, is that i am generally playing a part already on bass (or bass synth) whenever the vocoder is required.

like in the mp3 above, the piano part is done via bass synth when i play it live.

17. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    That's where the loopbox comes in... You might be able to find one that'd let you previously record whatever arpeggios you might need, and then you'd just activate it going into the synth pedal, and then into the vocoder...? I don't know if this makes sense... it just might be easier or cheaper than buying a dedicated synth (or it might not)

18. I don't think you can do it in one pedal. The simplest set up I can think of for something like that would be a simple synth pedal like the Thumping Squaresnakes from Dwarfcraft, and then a step-filter/phaser pedal, like the prometheus, a seek wah, or step mode on a boss ph-3. That's probably how I would approach it.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

that's a thought. how much can a looper generally hold, in terms of sample-size? and is it common for them to be able to hold multiple different loops?