1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a teacher around Santa Clarita, CA

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Meatbass, May 1, 2010.

1. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    A little about me and my bass playing:
    I've been playing for around 7 years all self taught (I'm 22). I live in Frazier Park which is:
    45 minutes north of Santa Clarita
    45 minutes south of Bakersfield
    An hour and 30 minutes north of Los Angeles

I grew up with my father being a classic rock guitarist, so my playing started with a lot of rock influences. I've been listening to punk rock (the old good raw stuff) since I can remember.
    I've been playing punk rock (don't let this judge your opinion of me as a bassist) with several bands over the past 7 years. I currently play with The Walking Dead (click to have a listen). I am very limited with that band since we don't compose songs together and well...let's face it...it's punk rock. It doesn't have a lot of room to work with. I enjoy playing reggae, and really holding that tight groove. My younger brother (age 19) is a really talented drummer and we jam a ton (we have a very very similar style). We're constantly working together and "practice jamming" (our living room is practically a studio). We don't have a band or any set songs so I wouldn't call it rehearsing but we get together and play often. We take our music seriously and love to have fun with it.

What I'm looking for:
    I'm looking for a fellow bassist to help me build on what I already know & help answer all of these questions that I have in my head (how and why things work). There's probably going to be some theory involved as well as technique ... and well everything in between. I'm looking to be able to take a lot of knowledge home with me so that I can practice with it and better myself musically.

So...that's about it. If you have any questions, ask!
    Looking forward to hearing from you! Shoot me a PM!

2. fbrown627

fbrown627

Oct 13, 2009
    Have you thought about contacting Cal Arts? My cousin lives in Valencia and they've found numerous music teachers there for their kids. Lots of advanced students teach on the side.

And, the one and only, Carol Kaye lives in Santa Clarita. She may still teach or might know of someone in the area.

www.carolkaye.com

3. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    Right on. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm willing to go out to Los Angeles, but the thread title still hasn't changed.

4. robwren

robwren Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Anthem AZ
    You could learn a TON from TBs own Todd Johnson (check out his Ask A Pro forum). He's primarily a jazz guy and has taught at CalArts and BIT and now teaches out of his house in Santa Clarita. You certainly learn a lot of technique and theory from him even if the jazz stuff isn't your bag.