1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking for a teacher Dayton, OH

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Talbotthar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Talbotthar

Talbotthar

Apr 5, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do not really know of a good place to put this so feel free to redirect me.
    I've read several times of the importance of a good teacher however do to funds I have put this search off for some time but i feel its time to start looking.
    Anyway I live in Dayton, OH and there isn't a lot going on outside of noise bands and I'm not plug in with the orchestra so I come to this forum in my search.
    I realize some travel might be required and I will cross that bridge when it comes but for now I just want to find someone 45 minutes to an hour away or closer that knows what they are doing.
    So if anyone knows someone or some directory or something let me know.

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I would recommend contacting the music department at the University of Dayton. They may be able to recommend a teacher. Also there's the Dayton Musicians Association (union). Their web site is: Contact :: Dayton Musicians Association At least some of the classical musicians in the area may belong to the union.

This should get you started anyway. If you ask around enough, you'll find someone to study with.

Good luck!

3. Talbotthar

Talbotthar

Apr 5, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That's awesome! Thank you so much. I didn't even think about UD.

4. flyman

flyman Whoa!!

Aug 2, 2005
    cincinnati, ohio
    There's a bass player in Dayton named Eddie Brookshire. I don't know if he teaches, but if he doesn't, I'll bet he can point you to someone.

5. My former teacher at CCM, Chris Berg, lives in Dayton. He seems to keep very busy, so I don't know how free he is, but he's worth a shot. He's a really good teacher- he'll get you started in the right direction. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

Good luck!

6. Monkey

Monkey

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Eddie Brookshire is a great player and teacher (as well as a great guy).

Here is a link to his page on the University of Dayton website: UD Music Faculty