Looking for a teacher in Northern NY.

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by SirFunk, Oct 6, 2005.

1. SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a private teacher in the nothern NY area, somewhere between Syracuse and Ottawa. I am currently a Junior at the Crane School of Music in potsdam. My teacher here is John Geggi. John is a great teacher, however I'm interested in finding another teacher for one or two lessons (maybe more if it goes REALLY GOOD).

I'm having some pain/discomfort issues that John hasn't been able to help me with much. I'm hoping someone else might pick somethign up right away that John and I havn't noticed. I'm really looking for more general things about my playing; than speciffics about the pieces I'm working on (Dragonetti, Chanson Triste, Simandl 23 and some other etude)

Also I would like to do some Jazz (John is only here 2 days a week and there are 20 bass players in the studio... there's really only time for classical... I wish John would teach me Jazz).

Anyone have any suggestions for good teachers somewhere around here?

2. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I'm currently going to the Eastman school of music in Rochester. I think that's within the area you described. I don't feel comfortable giving out the e-mails of Jeff Campbell (jazz) or JB VanDemark (classical) but you can find them on the school website really easily.

Hope this helps. Both Jeff and Mr. VanDemark are great teachers and incredibly nice. Good luck.

Search in faculty and use the alphabetical search by last name. That's the easiest way to find them.
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You also have the Rochester Philharmonic up there. Paul Strelau from CSC/Shen along with his Bass making buddy Jesse play in the Orchestra. I am sure Paul knows all the guys in the area. Give him a call.