Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a teacher in the Wash DC area

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jive1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think this is the right forum for this, if not please move it.

Anyway, after playing the slab for years, I decided to pickup the washtub. Since it's a different instrument, I want to start out right and get a good teacher. I don't want to develop any bad habits.

I'm more interested in Jazz than classical, but wouldn't mind learning both.

Can anyone recommend a good teacher in the Washington DC area?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check in with Tom Baldwin, who posts heer under the name T-BAL.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Also Keter Betts is in Laurel and look for Josh Baer at the University of Maryland College Park. He is a killer.

4. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Herman Burney Jr. is a great player, teacher and nice guy. Although he tours a lot with Rene Marie, he is based in the DC area. I studied with Herman on and off over the years, and he always put me on the right track. Herman is always SERIOUS about the bass and improving his own playing and his conviction rubs off on you. He's also played with Cedar Walton, Marcus Roberts, and Freddy Cole. You should be able to contact him through his website, hermanburney.com.

5. uh, Keter was in Bethesda, last I knew, Josh Bayer is at American U, and yours truly at UMCP.
    Ed, thanks for the plug.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Thanks for the replies folks. I live in Fairfax, VA and would like a teacher who isn't too far away (approx 20 miles). With the traffic being lousy as it is, I don't need another obstacle (excuse) to avoid lessons.

Let's keep a fellow low-ender employed