Looking for a teacher

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Thom Walker, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Hello,

I am new to TB and was hoping for some help. I am recently picking up the DB again after a 6 year, hiatus. During this time I got rid of everything I owned, for stupid reasons. The only thing I kept was my beloved WW. Now, that I have gotten some new equipment, I am ready to start again.

I studied at UNT and still have the concepts, but was hoping for some guidance on style, technique, pieces, etc. in both the jazz and classical worlds.

I have checked the local universities and the professor seems to be too busy to take on an outside student. I hope you guys can steer me towards some teachers in the Richmond, VA/DC area.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sam,

Thanks for the link. I am still trying to figure out this site and how to reply to a message.

3. Welcome Thom...If you wanna quote another poster, click on the reply button inside the window. If you just wanna say something, click on the reply button outside the window. Then click submit below.
    Check Search for teachers and Newbie Links.
    Sam probably sent you this link www.gollihur.com for everything bass and hopefully teachers in your area.
    Did you try your local Musicians Association for bass teachers, players and symphony players? Go hit some jazz clubs and talk to the bassists and other players.
    We have alot of Richmond/DC players and luthiers here, so hopefully you'll be hearing from them!
    Good Luck>>>
  4. Check with area orchestra players as well. I actually found my teacher here by checking profiles here at TB (click on a user's name for a link to profiles). You might be suprised to find several members within driving distance.
  5. Hello,

Thanks for all of the help guys. I have actually been in touch with T-Bal and he has also provided me with a couple of cats in the DC area. I will keep you up to date on progress.
  6. I'm also looking for a teacher in the northern VA area!

The only person that anyone ever recomends to me is this Aaron Clay guy, but noone ever knows his number! Arg!
  7. I wanted to say a quick thanks to all who aided in my search for a teacher. I will have my first lesson next week with our very own T-Bal. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, again to all.

8. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    That's one of the nice things about TBDB, Thom. The online networking aspect helped me discover my luthier (Jeff B.) and he's just down the road from where I live. Good luck with the lessons!

10. No problem. Don't call me Mr. Walker. I don't deserve that much respect. :D