Looking for a teacher..

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by rockness, Jul 3, 2004.

1. rockness

Jul 30, 2003
    Stratford, CT
    Does anyone know of any Double Bass teachers that are in the Southern Connecticut area? I am trying to learn proper technique before I get into any bad habits. Any info will be greatly appreciated. :help:
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    What you want to learn? If you're looking for classical / concert music, contact New Haven Symphony or Yale. You could start with a grad student at Yale for cheap and get a long ways.

If you're looking for jazz instruction, Dave Santoro lives in Torrington. Brian Torff teaches at Fairfield U. Joe Fonda used to live down around Middletown. Rick Petrone used to live near Bridgeport. I took lessons thirty-plus years ago from Dave Daddario in New Bri-unh.

Good luck, hombre.
  3. rockness

Jul 30, 2003
    Stratford, CT
    Hmm, I love classical and jazz pretty equally, I was hoping I could learn a bit of both. Last week I contacted some neighborhood art centers and a few websites that claimed to instruct people in db, but got no reply. Then I contacted Mike Asetta, but he lives in Cromwell, and I was looking for someone closer to where I live, if I can. I'll try to hunt down those names you listed, thanks.