1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a tempo-locking quantizing looper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by taowin, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. taowin

taowin Not me. That's Louis Armstrong as a kid! Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Berkeley CA
    I'd love to find a looping pedal that I could tap a few times at the beginning of a live band performance to lock to the band's tempo. Then however incompetently I tapped to start the looping it would quantize to the tempo. Has anyone found a looper that does that or a way to set it up?

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    The following use MIDI to quantize:
    Pigtronix Infinity
    Boomerang
    Some of the higher-end Boss units

I don't know if either of the latter two have a sort of tap tempo (the Infinity doesn't). But you might be able to pair with something like a Disaster Area Smart Clock or Molten Voltage Tempode to do what you want.

3. Jamman stereo has tap tempo I believe. I had one for a little while but never used that function. IMG_2465.JPG

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There are basically two ways to synch a looper to a band. Either send a click track from the looper to the drummer's monitor or have a midi clock input to the looper to set the tempo that also feeds a click to some or all of the band.

There's no way I know of to have the looper listen to what the band is playing and adjust on the fly. Quantization happens when you hit the pedal to stop recording your first layer and start playing the loop back. It makes an educated guess as to how to make the loop point as seamless as possible based on how it reads your bpm. Or based on the tap tempo input you gave it.

One other thing to try is to do your loop as a one shot. Boss loopers like the rc-50 have this option. It only repeats once for every time you hit play. The trade off is that you have a chance to trigger the loop exactly on the one each pass.

Most bands that try to incorporate live loops end up just sending the click to the drummer. And a 2nd output with no click to the PA.

Swimming Bird likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021