1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a tuner pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by [CRTL+ALT+DEL], May 29, 2011.

1. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Okay, looking a cheap pedal tuner, preferably one that also displays frequency, also one that can accurately track extremely low frequencies. Going down to 13hz if possible. Doesn't HAVE to go that low, but it would be nice. Any ideas?

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    13 hz??? Are you serious?

3. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Yep, lowest string is .240, 13hz A00

4. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    I know most tuners don't track well that low, so I'll prolly try to tune from the 12th or 24th fret. I know it won't be perfect. But you gotta do what you can

5. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Best bet would be a TurboTuner. I'll check to see how low I can go with a B string.... back shortly.

6. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    The TurboTuner looks like it stops at low C an almost octave below low B. It actually tracked those very nicely even though it was a lot of flub on my B string. Using the 12th fret harmonic I tuned down to a low, low A 13 Hz. You can almost count the oscillations. I'll go out on a limb and say that it's the only pedal that will do that.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ..and I'll go out on a limb and say I don't think it's possible for human's to hear anything that low. That's just crazy. Sorry, I got no advice, just thought that was crazy. You certainly got my attention.

8. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    I haven't heard my bass tuned this way yet. It's still in the shop getting modded. But all the reading states,A some people can hear that low, B when you hear the harmonics your brain is tricked into thinking you're hearing the fundamental, C with enough watts and speakers you'll definitely feel it

9. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Thanks cybersnyder, that seems to be the same spec as the boss tuner pedal- going down to C0. Was hoping to find something that shows an actual number for frequency. But I guess I'll just have to use my iPhone tuner until I get used to the tension of what octave I'm in. Maybe it won't be an issue. I tend to over think my experiments in advance

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Polytune does low A no problem. Not sure how much lower it will do.

11. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    Don't know about the low hertz but guitar fetish GFT-90 and Pewaves PJT-10 are the best cheap tuners I found around.

12. low A or LOWER A? hes talking about an octave below drop A on a B string

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry, A0 :) (which means you could use it to tune from the 12th fret easily enough or various harmonics). Surprisingly, not all tuners even go down to typical 5-string with any quickness.

14. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    13hz=A00, so it would be the 24th fret

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry, it's actually A0 that I tune to. Got mixed up with my numbers. Edited!

One whole step below B on a standard 5-string.

* Note, you do have to mute the high A/D strings very diligently when tuning to ADADG with the Polytune, otherwise they sympathetically vibrate and it goes into polytune mode.

16. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    AFAIK, the human ear can only hear down to about 20-22Hz, and that's if your hearing is really good. I hope you have the kind of rig required to pull off that kind of low, it would be really impressive. How are you doing this?

17. I personally cant offer any advice on the tuner, but would like to hear the tone you come up with.
    And would like to know, as did Cirk, what rig your using!

18. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    All shall be revealed with a vlog soon

19. Well I am very curious to hear this indeed so make sure to keep me updated!