Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Hey you speaker builders/hobbyists:
    I have a small thiele/small (EV TL 505)single 12 ported cabinet that has a rectangular port. (The port is actually divided up into three unequal sections) The middle section is big enough for a 2.5" X 4" rectangular tweeter which I want to add. I've cruised parts express but only found a piezo that fits those approximate dimensions. I recall on a Klipsch Heresy speaker cab I had years ago, that it had exactly the horn I need now. I'm pretty sure its made by Motorola. Its metal,probably titanium diaphram. I'll be crossing it over at 5khz. I have a GK10001RB-II with the seperate tweeter amp which I'll be hitting the tweeter with. Thanks for your suggestions and Merry Christmas to all, have a happy and safe holidays.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Any idea how similar a TL505 is to a TL806?

Are you using an EVM 12L? Does it give you enough lows?

I built myself a TL806 (with an EVM 12L) and found that it sounds incredible, but is lacking low-low end.

Look around at www.Madisound.com...they might have something for you...

Good luck!!!!

3. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    maybe I have my numbers wrong, 505=806? Its only slightly larger than the speaker itself except for the port area. I used to use one with an EV12L. good speaker. However for bass, I recommend an Eminence Delta 12LF. GREAT low end, but still lacking the lows needed in my opinion for gigging. I use it on top of my Bergantino HT115 and its punchy as hell.

Anyway, the EV's too much a PA speaker in my opinion. And much heavier than the 12LF. thanks for the suggestion by the way.

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The problem with crossing over at 5Khz is that your 12" speaker won't even begin to approach that frequency range with any usefulness, and even if it could, the beaming effect would render that range inaudible from any angle anyhow. Also, with most bass work, there isn't much information in the 5K+ register. You'd probably do best not to constrict yourself to the exact shape of the opening in your cab, which would allow you to better pick a tweeter based on its characteristics than its size. You may have already known and accounted for these things, but I thought I'd toss them out there just in case. Good luck!

5. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    so true. Th only thing I can find that will work with the size limitations are a CTS piezo anyway which is only 94 db sensitivity. Not sure how well that will match up with my Eminence 12LF in there.