1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a v-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by motorbreath7029, Oct 14, 2013.

1. motorbreath7029

motorbreath7029

Oct 14, 2013
    hey everyone, the purpose of this thread is to find a v-bass somewhere out there. I would honestly prefer a epiphone model due to price and I need to be able to house the wider thunderbird style pick ups.

thanks for any help

2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

There is 1 on LA's CraigsList right now.

3. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    epiphone used to make 5 string basses as you mentioned. They sounded alright(I hated the fingerboard, looked like someone vomited all over the fretboard) other then that it was ok. Fender has some 5 string basses as well. I've tried a jazz V liked it better in looks then the t bird, and it was black with a maple fretboard, i dislike basses with that mix(i wouldn't want to own one but hey everyone has their own opinion and preference)(maple fretboard with natural finish FTW) Another 5 string(well its close) 6 string ibanez gio 206, hated the feel of it(felt cheap and as if it was missing something, maybe it was the neck I'm not sure.

Id recommend fender but that's only because I've had terrible looking fretboards and the epiphones I've pryed open look terrible. electrical tape everywhere, too many wires/too much wiring(really now 6 ft wiring for a terminal connected only a few inches away, maybe 3 ft would have been more reasonable, like I realize you need give in case you want to move stuff or w/e but 6 ft?) but i suppose i shouldn't jump to conclusions because I've only opened up one fender and it was older/it was evident it had been opened before. If the modern player jazz V s are good Ill let you know, already ordered one should arrive tomorrow or so.

so i guess if epiphone fretboards didn't look so bad id love em if I never had to pry one open and see it has taped together wiring rather then soldering.

4. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    One in Boston too.

Wait, a Flying V? It's one of those.

5. motorbreath7029

motorbreath7029

Oct 14, 2013
    yeah flying v not a five string sorry for the confusion

6. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    wait its a flying v he's after?

alright this changes couple things.
    I'm still complaining about the fretboard and taping but would like to add I hate the placement of the button on flying V s, why it shifts like crazy and a SG bass I had did the same thing, chipped the headstock when it shifted and hit a ride cymbal. but I suppose its an easy fix for the buttons, take out the old fill it then put in new location, oh wait....... flying v doesnt have the thingys that control the reach if you play a guitar or bass upside down. YES I said thingys. Don't judge me

7. motorbreath7029

motorbreath7029

Oct 14, 2013
    well once again this is a forum trying to find one not knocking them

8. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    guitar center would probably have one(the ones in ohio constantly have them and when I try to find they disappear.... well now im a complete donkey.) I found Dean brand flying Vs but I have no comments and you are after a epiphone or gibson right? or you could order one online(yes i realize a lot of people prefer to play it before they buy it and still not finding any)

found one site
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBFVAWGH/