Looking for a versatile nickle set for jazz bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I only have one electric bass and it is a Celinder passive 4 string (alder/braz rosewood)...I have been into several types of music lately: R&B, Funk, Motown, all types of Rock, etc. I really dis latin jazz as well, but I am saving for a EUB to cover all other ground.

Which set of strings do you think is most versatile with all above mentioned music? I don't do a ton of slapping live, mostly fingerstyle...

I like flats but find them a little limiting (hard to play DMB with them).

I like DR's, haven't tried any of their nickle strings;

recently had some Sadowsky nicks that had weak E string but gound sound overall;

haven't played D'addarios in a while, used to love the slowwounds on my modulus;

heard good things about Fodera's nicks...

post away any thoughts or comments Thanks, Marc
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Iv'e had good results with
    DR low riders (nickel plated)
    DR sunbeam (nickel Plated)
    D'addario slowwound (discontinued) but still available in some places
    Fender 8250nps
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've tried several different brands of nickel wound strings but I keep coming back to D'Addario XLs. I like the tone and they seem to last well for me.
  4. GHS boomers did real well on my Jazz for those types of music.
  5. I ONLY play Sadowsky strings now....I would suggest calling the shop and just tell them you got a set with a weak E....I GUARANTEE that they will send you out a set and you will probably be happy with the result....I LOVE his flats as well, they could suit your application but are obviously not as percussive and flexible as the nickels....his flats are brighter than any other flat I have played and actually has a very good slap sound though not AS good to me as the nickels obviously......the G string in the flats seems to be a tad brighter than the other strings to give it a nice snap when slapping...

Give em a call, what have you got to lose?

6. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Fender Nickels 7150. I love them on my J, playing the same type of music, inexpensive too, give them a try.
  7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I'll second the Sadowsky nickel suggestion. They are also very reasonably priced.
  8. I've really enjoyed the Rotosound nickels but they might be a little bright for you judging from your musical tastes.
  9. I was scared of the price tag, but they last and sound great. I think a guy had a set for sale for $25 in here somewhere.
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like D'Addario XL's and Fender 7250's.

11. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Thomastik Infeld Superalloys are great strings!
    TI has a ton of fans around here.
  12. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Try the DR Marcus Miller signature series Fat Beams...I have them on my jazz bass & love 'em.
  13. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    DR Sunbeams...I have them on two basses now. They feel great and they sound incredible.
  14. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI

I just finished with a set of TI superalloys...I liked them a lot but want something that doesn't die as quick (maybe less expensive too). The sound was also a little bass-shy for me.

Do many folks play the D'addario XLs? Would these be the closest to that slow-wound sound?

How do these differ from the Sadowsky nicks?

Thanks, Marc
  15. Ernie Ball Slinkys. Great sound, good feel, decent life span, and the price is right.
  16. +1
    the DR Sunbeams (nickel/round core) are my fav.
    the DR lo-riders (nickel/hex core) are also good.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    another vote for the sadowsky's. like T suggested, i'd call the shop.

but yea, i too heard good things about the fodera strings.
  18. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Fender 7150's are the closest to an old school sound {70's} that you will get without resorting to flats. They have an ample amount of tension and thud which makes them quite percussive for a round wound string, but they are not overly stiff like flats. They can be bright when you want them to be and muted sounding when you want them to be. D'Addario's are good after a month. When they are brand new they are way too bright. Oh the 7150's are pure nickel not nickel plated steel. I think they will work fine for you. :bassist: :D
  19. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The Fenders are great strings
  20. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Club Bass Platinum Series. They're Nickel, not Platinum. Nickel prices, Platinum performance.