Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a very specific bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spill, Jul 9, 2005.

1. spill

spill

Jul 9, 2005
    A long time ago (maybe 2002-3) I read a review of an amazing bass in a magazine. I think it was Guitar Buyer, but it might have been Guitar (both UK magazines). Unfortunately, I threw the magazine away, thinking I'd never be able to afford it. Long story short, I've got some money now, and I'm hoping one of you remembers the review.

What I remember about it:

4 string

Flamed maple top

Double cut-away, with long, thin, straight horns

Veeery expensive (I think it was £14000)

A discreet tuner (with 1 LED per string, I forget how it worked) mounted in the neck

You could buy matching luggage to go with it.

The magazine had a banner at either the top or bottom which listed some of the contents, and had the tagline (a £14000 bass...)

Anyway, I know it's a long shot, but I hope one of you remembers the article.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For that kind of money, you'd think they could pay to have someone proof-read the website copy.

3. True...and it would be nice to see some high res photos of such an expensive instrument.

4. spill

spill

Jul 9, 2005
    Wow, that was fast! I think I'll hang around this forum some more. I love the look of this instrument, and have heard one being played (very clear and natural sounding). Just a pity I'll probably not get to check the playability if I decide to buy one.

Thanks a lot tplyons, you've made my day.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Glad to hear, though that matching luggage clue was a dead giveaway :)

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's weird to have BassSurgery show up by 2 new members only a day apart...I'm kinda glad cause I never heard of it before and enjoyed checking it out.

Not as bad as the 4-5 threads on the Machine Gun Bass tho.

:bag: :bag:

7. spill

spill

Jul 9, 2005
    I was just reading over some posts, and came across this one. Somehow, it seems my train of thought got broken and I forgot to add a fairly crucial line. I meant to say at the end something along the lines of 'I know I could never justify it technique-wise, but I just want it so much.'

In other words, GAS. I'm not going to buy this bass (unless a moment of weakness takes over), and that's probably the first time I've ever not bought something bass-related that I both wanted and could afford (don't look at me like that), for the reason that I couldn't do it justice.

However, it has inspired me to do some serious woodshedding (I played 9 hours yesterday). Maybe some day I'll feel worthy...