Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a Wal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BFunk, Jan 8, 2004.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Hi all -

What I have read and heard about these basses really has my interest. I am eager to try one of these instruments out. Unfortunately, I have had so many disappointments with instruments that I have bought sight-unseen before. I want to make sure that it will suit me. I am especially interested in a 5 string fretted model. Is there anyone within 100 miles of Rhode Island that has one I can try? 15 minutes with the instrument will tell me everything I need to know. I would really appreciate it.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

How about the L.A. area? I will visiting there next month.

3. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    How about checking with Bass Central in Florida and seeing if they have 24 or 48 hour no questions return period. You would pay for the bass, but if you didn't like it, you would ship it back. As long as you don't damage it, I would think they would do it. My fretted Wal had been sent out to someone at least once from the Bass Centre in LA when it still existed prior to my purchase. That said, I purchased my fretless Wal never having played it or a fretless 5...waited 6 months for it and it cost $3400 at the time and that was 1992 I believe. It is my main bass...use it 98% of the time. I would guarantee that any new Wal you purchase would be excellent.

Good luck.

4. I had a similar experience. I had to enlist the help of someone I trusted to check the bass out for me in NYC. There are extremely few opportunities to find a Wal to try out, especially up here. I play my fretless Mach II 5 almost exclusively. Second to none for me.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Bass Central doesn't have any in stock. On their website they posted a message in the Wal section back in August 2003 saying that there was currently I think a 6-8 month wait atleast.

I'd keep an eye out on Ebay. Wal's pop up there from time to time. Also you said you were in RI? You might want to check out www.thewantad.com I don't know if you've seen it but its a Want Ad magazine for New England. Its based in MA but I think it covers all of NE. The magazine comes out every Tuesday and is sold in a lot of convenience stores/supermarkets. A buddy of mine got a Geddy Lee Wal for $1500 a few years ago from a guy in RI and I'm pretty sure he got it through this mag.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bryan, are you goin for the whole Geddy armada? You've got the Ric(Check your email BTW), now your goin for the Wal? Good luck man!

7. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    He already PMed the guy, look in the thread. I've never heard what a Wal sounds like, but IMO alot of the Wal's I've seen look hideous. I'm totally sure they make up for it in sound/playability though.

9. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Ummm, ok. I haven't followed Brad's For Sale thread closely, but knew it existed...
    A little redundancy never killed anyone. :rolleyes:

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Uh, i'm not trying to be mean or anything, just pointing it out. Sorry if it came across as mean.

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Jerk :spit: hehehe j/k

12. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Wal's look Hideous?? That is definitely an "IMO" statement for you... :)

13. Hmmm. Wals are certainly not "conventional" in terms of styling. What's not apparent unless you've actually held one is that the best view is what the player sees, or at least I have found that to be true of my Mach II. There's something amazing going on there that won't be apparent in any photo.

Design and styling aside, Pete Stevens is an amazing luthier who can work magic with a fancy "coffee table" top.

Of course the above is IMO (in my opinion).

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Tobias4,
    I have a 1990 Wal "Geddy Lee" if you want to check one out! It's not for sale, but you're welcome to play it. Click on my shop's link below, and email me. I'm in Boston.
    GEEK

15. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I made the request. If you are offering the same invitation to me, please send me a pm. Thanks.

EDIT: I just occurred to me who you are. I have been to your store a couple of times. My friend Tom bought an Astro fuzz from you. This would be a gret time to pay you a visit.

16. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Oops!!!!!
    Sorry for the username mix-up!!!!! I hadn't finished my coffee when I posted. YES you are invited! So is anyone else in the area or visiting. I know how hard Wals are to get ahold of. I'd been trying to own one for 10 years.
    GEEK