looking for a wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aquateen, Nov 3, 2005.

1. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    I have a passive two humbucker bass that I would like to wire vol/blend/tone/tone (one tone control for each pickup). I'm having some difficulty finding a wiring diagram. does anybody have one or know where to get one?

thanks in advance!

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Check seymourduncan.com, guitarelectronics.com, and stewmac.com
  3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Just curious, why two tones? It really seems esoteric. How is your bass wired now?
  4. it's not hard...take a standard V/B/T schematic...

take out the tone circuit...(go straight from volume pot to output jack)

put a tone circuit on each pickup (pickup hots) before it goes to the blend pot...
  5. That's correct:

Each pickup goes to it's own separate tone pot first, then to the blend pot, and finally over to the master volume -> output jack.

6. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    thanks for the responses. I am new to this wiring stuff and I appreciate any guidance. I'll draw a diagram and post it for review. can anyone recommend a good reference book that would be helpful for somebody that doesn't have much experience with electronics? thanks again!

7. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    The question isn't why 2 tones, but why 2 tones and a blend? The blend would seem to get in the way of having the individual tones, and make more resistance for your sound to go through. Not that you can't do what you want, I just don't quite see your train of thought.
  8. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    I am re-wiring a Gibson Ripper and am not planning on using the varitone switch. I'd like to control the tone for each pickup and the output for each pickup.

I was thinking I'd use the varitone location for the volume, the current volume for the blend and keep the tone controls in the same place. I was hoping to keep the original look (as much as possible).

I guess I could keep the varitone switch as a dummy and wire it vol/blend/tone. I thought I'd try for a liitle more tone control by having one for each pickup. like I said, I have virtually no experience with this type of thing, so please excuse my ignorance.

here's a pic of the layout for reference.

Attached Files:

9. You might trying using Fender No-Load pots for the master volume and two tones. They cut the pot out of the audio path so you don't have any resistance on your tone resulting in a hotter signal.