1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for advice on a new rig (replacing GK Neo 212 and GB Streamliner)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimgray, Mar 1, 2016.

1. jimgray

jimgray

Jan 14, 2010
    Sharon, MA
    Hi all-

Trying to decide between some of the amazing options available today.
    Pretty settled on 2 x 12 and a small but warm/powerful head.
    Small->mid sized gigs on my Fenders.

heads:
    streamliner?
    Puma 1000?
    something else?

cabs:
    GK Neo 212
    GB Uber 212
    TechAmp s212
    something else?

I really liked my last rig quite a bit, but willing to upgrade as I replace.
    Interested in hearing from others.

thanks!
    Jim

2. Streamliner and GK 212.

lesliegl likes this.
  3. I'd agree with the G-K NEO212 cab, but another amp head to add/consider is a Aguilar TH500 or TH350.

Mike A likes this.
  4. jimgray

jimgray

Jan 14, 2010
    Sharon, MA
    ok, thanks - you guys think the GK neo 212 is the best in class all things considered? Thanks. I am wooed by the smaller size and potentially higher-fi sound of the tecamp. I am also wooed by the reportedly better sound of the GB Uber 2x12 but not happy w the larger heft.

If what I had is in fact the best in terms of tradeoffs, I'll just get another one.
    If there's something markedly better, I'm quite open to it, even at a higher price point.

I don't want to sacrifice sound - I want to improve it.

5. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I had an Uber212-T and loved it (briefly,) but after comparing it side by side with my (later acquired) GK Neo212-II, I personally found the performance of both pretty well equal with the GK winning for physical size/weight as well as being 8 ohms. (Testing done with GK heads.)

I agree with B-String above in that if you're looking for a warmer head, you should consider the Tonehammer.

6. jimgray

jimgray

Jan 14, 2010
    Sharon, MA
    thanks for the input, guys. Remarkable that I had the rig you are recommending. Of course - I loved it. My head got stolen and I was foolish enough to sell the cab thinking that I'd buy something better. Oh well...

Rapisme and Mike A like this.
  7. jimgray

jimgray

Jan 14, 2010
    Sharon, MA
    Anyone have any love for the Berg CN212? One of those popped up. Will certainly be pricier than a GK Neo 2x12. Is it worth it?
    I haven't heard one - would love an A/B, but any anecdotal thoughts would be helpful.