Looking for advice on an acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RH434, Aug 16, 2009.

1. RH434

RH434

Aug 25, 2008
    Boiling Springs, PA
    Hi all,

I've had the bug for an acoustic for awhile now and haven't seen anything in the classifieds recently. I've been checking out the local shops with little luck as well.

This would be my first acoustic, and the budget is tight. I wanted to find something reasonable for under $400 or so.

I've played a few that GC had in the acoustic room, with mixed results. Here's a few that I've tried, but I really need some advice from experienced players before buying.

Dean:
    Looks like I don't want any part of this one, the fretwork was poor to say the least, and it was very uncomfortable with the action hard to reach.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-EABC-5-String-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-511938-i1147417.gc

Ibanez:
    Much better, but was hoping for some experienced feedback.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AEB10E-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-Guitar-with-Onboard-Tuner-102960226-i1150891.gc

Laguna:
    Looks nice, anyone have any experience with this one?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna-LAB5CE-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-104847439-i1403500.gc

I'm not partial to GC, I'd rather buy locally. I'd also appreciate any other input anyone could provide.

Thanks! :D

2. Oakwood Blues

Oakwood Blues

Aug 16, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I've had the Dean EABC for about a year and a half and it's done really great for me, the fretboard is longer than most and the body (compared to others) feels huge, yet I have long fingers and overall my arms are long as well, so it took almost no effort to get use to it. I end up getting the bass due to my price range and at the end it workout well for me, I manage to double thumb on it with ease now.

Yet I also played the Laguna a few times at a local music store and it definitely has an amazing feel to it and IMO the sound through the electric end came out better than on the Dean but not to the point where it;s amazing. I just highly suggest whatever feels more comfortable for you to play on, Remember that the wood ages so the more experience an acoustic bass has the richer it tone.

As for my Dean its been through hell and back with me and I use it everyday I'm happy with it.

3. I also have the Dean.....I agree the action is too tall, but just learned what to do about it. It's neck is adjustable for the Dean's fret #1 buzz (usually the first sign u need a tweak.)

The tall action can be helped by removing the strings, pulling out the plastic saddle and sandpapering the bottom down with the sandpaper flat on a surface....with a little patience, you can remove enough material to help out with the action.

I have the black 4 string fretless and I've strung it with Rotosound flats.

I would recommend it more highly if I hadn't just noticed that he spruce top is starting to "bubble" where the bridge is attached. I'll be fighting a losing battle as someone on TB said. Ya know, if I had lowered the action earlier, the force causing the bubbble would have been more shear to the top and I might've avoided it.

The price is hard to beat (I paid 199)...the pre-amp and tuning aid is great and it actually sounds pretty good amp'd.

Nice to have a knock around bass that you can throw in the back seat for a weekend somewhere (like the Cape!) Played with a pick, it sounds great with no amp.

4. mrspiffy

mrspiffy

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I have the Ibanez AEB10E. I really liked the tone, and it's fairly loud. It's got a Fishman pre-amp onboard, as well as a tuner (useless). Play a lot and get one you like. I went for the Ibanez over the Dean 'cause I really liked the sound, but I've heard plenty of good things about the Dean. BTW- GC has the Ibanez this week for $329.00 ( a whopping $20 off...). Intonation out of the box was good, and I've not had to do any neck adjustments. No fret buzz on 2nd either (which I've heard about these particular Ibanezes). Good luck going local. All the places around me didn't stock any acoustic basses and wouldn't order one in (can't blame 'em).

5. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    I had the same guitar and I sold it a few days later. My band had a gig where we wanted to do a few acoustic Sublime covers- I didn't have an acoustic bass, so I got the Ibanez AEB10E. It was pretty cool, the Preamp's cool, and the tuner's pretty useful too.

I ditched it for a more expensive, custom acoustic which I also sold. I'm just not a big fan of acoustics, period.

6. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Find a used Michael Kelly. I've owned two, still have one, they are terrific and very affordable.

7. mrspiffy

mrspiffy

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah... I was looking for the Firefly 4 string but it was sold out everywhere. The next acoustic bass I get is going to be the MK Dragonfly fretless. That's a gorgeous guitar.;)

8. RH434

RH434

Aug 25, 2008
    Boiling Springs, PA
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to play more of them, if I can find them in stock somewhere.

I didn't mean to offend the Dean crowd, maybe I just picked up a poor one. Thanks for posting.

It's also goo to know about GC having $20 off the Ibanez. They were sold out last week when I stopped by.

I've heard good things about the Michael Kelly. I was considering putting an ad in the wanted section to see if anyone wants to part with theirs.

Anyone else? Anyone who has played a Laguna?

9. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I have a fretless MK Dragonfly III 5 string...excellent. With flats on it sounds remarkably like an URB.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021