Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for advice on everything through the board

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bmc, Jul 12, 2005.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi there...

We have a three piece cover band, playing all styles of music. Our drummer is picking up an electronic drum kit when he heads back to NYC next week. It will enable him to play in an apartment without bothering neighbors.

We are toying with gigging only with a PA. No backline. I'd probably run the preamp section of my amp head or just use a SABDDI. Same goes for the guitarist.

Our current PA has a couple of Yamaha cabs with a 15 and a horn. The guitarist has some larger cabs that may have a couple of 15's. Not sure though.

We play mostly for rooms of 200-300. We're focussing on corporate gigs this fall and think the suggested set up could work ok for us.

Any comments or experience with doing this as suggested? Should we consider bigger speakers, mabe three way speakers? I'm not convinced electronic drums sound good to begin with. But from a gigging perspective and the ability to really control sound and volume, there are some perceived benefits.

I welcome any advice.

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    That can work every well. I'd suggest some subwoofers under the Yamaha tops though. How are you planning on hearing yourselves? Monitors?? IEMs?? etc. Electronic drums won't "feel" the same as acoustics, but they sure are more quiet and versatile. If you start to get lots of decent paying work, you may want to upgrade from the yamaha speakers. I'd say about $1000 per box, for a 15+horn cab is where pro stuff STARTS, and goes up fast from there.

Lee

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks Lee. Good advice. I much prefer the live drum sound, especially this drummer. He is just so good and very easy to lock with.

I think at the end of the summer, we're going to haul every piece of PA gear we have and mix/match to find out what works best for FOH and what we need to use for monitoring.

The sub woofer is a good idea to get that good bottom end. Any suggestions? We're really interested in keeping it portable. We do have a powerful amp to drive cabs. Hopefully there's some decent powered subs of reasonable power. Any recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's a device called the Buttkicker that will let your drummer feel the physical punch of the kickdrum even if he's all electronic. It mounts to the bottom of the drumstool, and is lighter than getting a full-fledged sub.

The Yamaha 15"s should be just fine for you and the guitarist.

5. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Since you're on the other side of the world from me, I believe I can make suggestions without it seeming like a sales pitch. My self powered rig is all Yorkville stuff. I use the EF500P and LS800P sub. The top is a 15/2, self powered, biamped, 650/150W amps. The sub is a single 18", with 1500 watt amp onboard. This combination does very well in your typical ballroom and/or club setting. Half of it, one each, also makes one hell of a drum monitor on bigger stages. Street price on these in the US is "right around" a thousand dollars US, each box. I don't know what it'd be "over there". I will say this, and I hope it is OK with the CUP. I find that Yorkville stuff compares VERY well with offerings from other manufacturers up to and including about double the price of the Yorkville equipment.

Lee