Looking for advice on first amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chuckler3, May 19, 2007.

1. chuckler3

chuckler3

May 19, 2007
    I bought a peavy acoustic/electric a few months back and it has worked out amazingly well. I've gotten to the point where i want to play with a few buddies and that's going to require a decent amp due to the fact that one of my friends is ridiculous on his OCDP setup. i'm looking for something cheap but lout enough to hear over my friends. any suggestions?

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    How cheap? How loud? Main question is if you'll ever need to be heard over a drummer.

3. chuckler3

chuckler3

May 19, 2007
    i'm mostly looking for something i won't have to sit on so that i can hear it. having said that, i know what i'm looking for and what i'll end up with are two different things. I'm looking to spend no more than 150. he plays a lot of grindcore and mathcore. so it's that type of intensity i'm trying to hear over. and just looking for a decent sound with it.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You might try elevating any small/short amp to get it closer to your ears.
    (it helps a lot, and its free).
    Placing any amp in the rooms corner, will also usually enhance its bass response.

Try to avoid boosting your bass knobs and cutting the mids.
    (sounds great soloed, but can end up just getting you lost in a loud band situation)

I've seen a few older (used) Peavey 15" combo's (among other brands) selling
    in the $150 range on craigslist, pawn shops and music stores. Some are not bad sounding
    and quite loud. Again, consider elevating and experimenting with (any amps) room-location
    and knob settings.

5. AckAckAttack

AckAckAttack

Aug 27, 2006
    If you're looking for something loud at $150 your best bet is an older peavey combo, like a tnt or something.

6. chuckler3

chuckler3

May 19, 2007
    thanks for all of the input. i'm just trying to keep the time and energy spent on getting my first amp to a minimum by only dealing with it once for a long while. now the search begins.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021