1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for advice on getting my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass4Life_NJ, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Bass4Life_NJ

Bass4Life_NJ

Aug 3, 2012
    I finally decided to make an account on here. Seems like everyone gives some good advice on basically anything related to bass. So, im looking around to get a new (or used, doesnt matter too much to me) bass. Ive been looking at Ibanezs for a wile now, but have recently gotten my hands on a Spector and im loving it.

So, what would you guys recommend? Ive been playing for more than 3 years, currently own an Ibanez gsr100, and im looking to get a bass that i will want to keep for a long time and still be great even as i increase my skill. And i have a budget of $700 and looking for a 4 string.
    Im defiantly considering a Spector bass right now, i found one at my local shop for $500. an NS-200004. i love how it plays and the fact that it has a thru body neck is awesome. So yea, it would be great to hear what you guys think and what basses you would recommend.

2. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Anything in the $700 price range will be nicer than the GSR100. There are too many basses in that price range.
    I guess I would recommend that you check out more basses. You'll know which ones you don't like by trying them out. For the ones that pique your interest, come back and ask if they are good or not.

3. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    You may have already answered your own question! You sound pretty stoked about the Spector! If it feels and sounds right when you play it, and you long to hold it again when you're away from it, then you're already on the road to a long-term commitment. Also, you'll never regret snagging a bass you love for a fair price. I LOVE my Rick 4003 (also with a neck through body), and paid less than $500 for it new (in 1981).

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Play a couple of other basses in the sub-$700 range. If you still find yourself drawn back to the Spector, then you can feel confident that you have performed sufficient due diligence.

If neck-thru is truly what you want, cool. But consider for a moment that one of the true pioneers in electric bass design opted for a bolt-on neck design because he felt that players should have the option of replacing necks easily and (relatively) inexpensively, should the need or desire arise.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Brubaker Brute obviously. Seriously, check them out. I'd bet there is a reallyl nice used one for sale in the classifieds if you don't want to buy new. They sound awesome. see Malcolm Halls demos on youtube.