1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for advice on SD Basslines.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Suntory, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Suntory

Suntory

Jun 8, 2012
    Any thoughts on Basslines. Ideally I'd Buy Barts but they are out of my price range these days, although I've seen some used and that's a. option.

They would go into a neck-through all maple Lado Medallion.

Thanks

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Basslines what? Duncan makes lots of different Basslines pickups - P-style, J-style, MM-style, soapbar-style, etc.

I've had the P-style (SPB-2) in the past, and have a couple of the MM-style (SMB-4D) currently. They're fine quality, with good sound. Your best bet is to go to Duncan's website and read their descriptions of their various pickups.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I like SPB-1 and 3's I have a set of 2's but I haven't put them in anything yet.

4. Suntory

Suntory

Jun 8, 2012
    Thanks for the reply's guys. It's pretty vague I know, they'd be P/J's but i was really wondering if you were satisfied with them or if they were something you used until you can afford better.

But you advice is correct, go to the site and look around.

Thanks

5. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I have a P bass rewired to a Qtr Pnd P and Stacked J Humbucker and then stayed with the 2 pot(s) format using a pair of V+T pots and it workd very well, is dead quiet and opens the range of tone combinations from P - J with blending options.
    I am very happy with it.

6. Ewoe21

Ewoe21

May 11, 2012
    If you're looking to replace pick ups in a Jazz or Precision do yourself a favor and get some Nordstrand. You will not believe how great these things are!!!!

7. ricknote

ricknote

Aug 3, 2006
    Nashville
    "If you're looking to replace pick ups in a Jazz or Precision do yourself a favor and get some Nordstrand. You will not believe how great these things are!!!!"

+1

8. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    The SD P and J pickups I have used are great sounding. I do not consider them 2nd rate at all.

I have found the SD website tone chart accurate for the pickups that I have used.

9. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I had several SD sets, and I was not impressed. The Quarter Pounders are very scooped, and the -1s and -2s are very bass heavy. It would seem that SD doesn't like midrange.

10. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    +1, i liked them in a PJ set. they seemed more dynamic.
    that being said i have used a lot of SD bassline pickups in several basses and depending on what sound you are looking for Seymour Duncan is likely to have it.

11. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I've used the SPB-1 (vintage P), the SPB-2 (hot P), and the STK-J2 (hot stack J).

I have had no problem getting mids with any of these.

The Quarter Pounders are described as mid-scooped on the SD tone chart, so that's what I would expect them to sound like.

12. Suntory

Suntory

Jun 8, 2012
    Wow! So many replies, what a community.
    As long as you guys don't think they are SD'S second rate I think I'll give em a try. Any thoughts on a preamp? I'm a passive guy, always overwhelmed by active pickups and frankly, never had to go big.
    I think my lack of experience is really starting shine threw now.
    Cheers

13. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    I really like them on my passive basses. They gave my VMJ-V an entirely different (and a more usable) voice. And my custom P/MM has a really edgy rock tone too.

These are all Quarter Pounders, except for the MM.

SJ5-3's in the Vintage Modified Jazz-V, SPB-3's & SMB4a in the P-bass.

475673_2243606785532_2058520574_o.jpg

The Vintage Modified Jazz-V is all maple, and the SJ5-3's sound really good in there. By design they are mid scooped, almost too much for most players. But I really like them.

14. Suntory

Suntory

Jun 8, 2012
    @Mykk

Thanks for the reply. I'm a Jazz Bass guy myself but I've kept it stock since 1993. I'm a plug and play kinda guy so I know little about buying pickups. I'm looking for pickups for to put in a Lado as I mentioned earlier and I know not what scooped means, so by all means if you have time please explain. I don't believe my Jazz is scooped, it seems like a pretty classical Jazz Bass tone to me. Nice pics by the way.

If anyone else would like explain their interpretation of a "Scooped" pickup please do.

Cheers again.

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Jazz bass tone is often considered "scooped" meaning it's got an emphasis on highs and lows with the midrange "scooped out."

I am happy with the MM styled Basslines I used to replace the stock MEC pickups in my Warwick $$. I would do it again.

16. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Interesting! Your P-bass has the exact same pickup config that I have on my Clement custom!!
    I love the 2 pickups but I'm wondering something -do you think the Quarter Pounder P is louder than the MM? I find that when my pickup blend is set in the middle, you can still hear more of the P pickup than the MM. In order to really 'balance' them, I have to slightly favor the MM on the blend.

17. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    When both Jazz pickups are on full volume, you get the scoop.

If you lower the neck pickup volume a bit, you can really hear the mids from the bridge pickup kick in.

Likewise, if you keep neck pickup on full and lower the bridge pickup volume, it changes the scoop as well.

I really like JJ pickups due to the variety of tones they offer.

18. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    P-Nut spec'd SD pickups for his Warwick Signature Series bass.

19. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    Scooped mids is a generic term meaning the bass & treble are more pronounced while the mid frequencies are less present in the mix.

Actually, mine is the other way around. The P-pup is the dominant pickup.