1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for aftermarket 70's J p'ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Billy Low, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I'm an a quest to find the closest resemblance to the mid rangy/burpy sound of the 70's Fender Jazz in the p'up department. Any suggestions? Please, no comments about p'up placement.

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Well, it's gotta be single coil. I've tried many pickups over the years, never found a humbucker that sounded quite like my 72' jazz. I'm not sure how consistent pickups from the early 70's were but my jazz was very detailed in the highs and mids with a little less low end and output than newer Fender single coils.
    The closest I've found are Seymour Duncan SJB-1 and the Geddy Lee sig. stock pickups. Both sets have a nice rawness to them that sounded very close the my stock 72.
    Ive also owned:
    SD QP: loud, powerful, but not enough midrange texture for me. Also very noisy.
    Nordstrand JSV: sounds soooo good, but not vintage. Fantastic with an Audere.
    Fender CS 60's: more lows than 72 and didn't have the openness in the extreme highs. Great rock pickup.
    SD Hot jazz: mid snarl that sounded good until the strings died, then just sounded muffled.
    Fender SCN: a bit more rawness than other J humbuckers. More modern than vintage.
    Fender roadword: very close to the Geddy pickups. Nice vintage flavor.
    EMG JV (exposed poles): Similar to the SCNs but with less highs. Didn't really care for them.
    I've also owned various Barts and EMGs, none of which sounded (or were meant to) like vintage pickups.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Nordstrand NJ4 70's wind single coils?

I have a bass coming with them in a few months.

4. Fralins- Lindy Fralin single coil pickups. Although you probably can't go wrong with the aforementioned Nordys either.

5. Fender makes '75 reissue jazz bass pickups that I realy like.
    I like em better than the 60's custom shop or AERO type 1.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    birminghambass is on the right track with his direction. 70's gray bottom pickups are very airy and reach high in the treble response. its a very different sound than fralins,fenders 75 ri pickups,aeros,or most other replacements.

i actually wouldnt really even describe 70's jazz pickups as midrangy/burpy.