looking for amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groggy greg, Jan 31, 2005.

1. groggy greg

groggy greg

Jan 4, 2005
    I've been playing the bass for a while but i dont really know a lot about gear and i need a new amp

I play in thrash/speed metal band. our style is similar to megadeth but we have faster songs and both of our guitar players do shred solos. one of my guitar players has an Engl Powerball amp with 2 genz benz cabs and the other has Peavy triple x amp with 2 peavy cabs and id like something that can keep up with them cause they get really loud.

My primary bass is an Ibanez sr 905 and i do some different styles so id like something that i can get both a fat sound and a bright sound out of.

i dont really know what i want but ive been looking at a lot of amps and im pretty sure i want the pre amp to be tube but the power amp can be tube or solid state. other than that im clueless and would appriciate any suggestions.
    and if there is anything i left out just ask.
  2. Use the search function there are many threads like this. I play thrash and speed metal and so far I'm just barely getting by with a Fender Bassman 400 combo, which I would not recommend because it is simply not loud enough. I think you're going to need at least 500watts and a 4x10 or really efficient smaller cab to get by. In my experience older Peaveys can do the "Kill Em All" Cliff Burton and Steve Harris/Iron Maiden sound really well. If you're looking for that fat tight bass, then I think Ampeg and Mesa are nice, but I think it's a little harder to clean up Ampeg sound. I like the sound I get from an SWR 550x and a Goliath III cab, but I've played a long rehearsal through a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II and an Ampeg 8x10" and I really enjoyed the sound and volume I got from that. Let us know what kind of budget you have and we could probably help more. Whatever you do try to hear or play whatever you buy so you don't end up hating it when you get it, don't buy based on name brand.
  3. i believe yorkville is your answer with the tube preamp and solidstate power amps the new 800 watt head with a couple cabs of your choice woudl suite your needs unless u have alot of money then i suggest gettin something that will make your guitarsits amps fall over
  4. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    It really depends on how much money you wanna invest.
    The geeatarist have serious pro rigs. These ENGEls are great.
    You might like the new Genz Benz 1200W, 2 channels. But I bet your geetarist will hate you then... :D

Also you get more volume with more speakers easier than with more power. Looks like you will need full rig. Something like 4x10" + 2x12" would slay the tinny strings shredders. :bassist:

5. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    +1 Definitely go for more speaker area - 8x10 might be ideal.
  6. groggy greg

groggy greg

Jan 4, 2005
    i have a steady job and have been saving for this for a long time now so price isnt too much of an issue.

That genz benz head looks really nice but has it been released yet?
  7. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    For wattage the Kustom GrooveBass is another choice
    1200watts as well in 2Ohm.

I run a Hartke 5000 (500watts in 4Ohm, 370@8Ohm) and I keep up with 2 half stacks pretty easily. My Sunn has troubles but it is 300 at 2Ohm with my 8Ohm 4x10 wich is only around 170watts then.

I'd say try out some ampeg's especially the SVT-CL head for a great tone. I play with a band that has an Ampeg 8x10 and one of those heads and it sounds fantastic.
  8. jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    I chose the preamp with power amp route - worked well as I ended up adding a second power amp and second 8x10" cab, and all the control was in the one preamp.

I ended up using the power amps for PA duty later on, so it was a wise investment after all.

Had no problems with volume, unfortunately my eardrums paid the price...
  9. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Get a used Bag End QDX-10. I got one for $475. It is a 4x10 speaker cabinet that can put out 800 watts at 4 ohms.

For a head go ampeg. Get something that can at the very least put out 400 watts. Remember, if an amp is rated at 400 watts, it will put out about 200 watts because you don't keep your amp cranked on max volume, but usually want to keep it around half way up.
  10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Gee, if $$ don't matter too much - :cool:

How about a Glockenklang Bass Art Classic preamp,
    a Crest CA-9 amp, and two Accugroove El Whappo's?
    Should keep up with most anything! Of course, you
    would be spending about - $7500, but your sound would
    be fantastic.

Dan K.