Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raised_fist, Nov 29, 2003.

1. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    okay guys, I am looking to buy a new rig, and I am unsure what to go with.
    The Mesa Boogie M-Pulse, with the 1x15/4x10 cab, The Ampeg the SVT3Pro with the ampeg, 4x10/1x15.
    In Australia I dont have that many choices, but I really liked the Ampeg and the Mesa, although the Mesa was like, another 2 grand on top of the Ampeg.
    I was also thinking about trying out some GK's, because I have heard good things about them. But I want a massive, warm tone. I don't want some mid-ish "flangleflangleflangle" bass tone, that is why I don't want to loose the 15". Juan Nelson's tone is pretty close to what I want to achieve. I know he uses SWR cabs, but unsure what amplifier he uses.
    Any suggestions, comments, or horror stories in regards to these 2 rigs, and how they compare? What are the GK's like when compared to the Ampegs and MB? Any other rigs you think I should check out?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Everything you have there is a brilliant choice. if you can aford the Mesa stuff in Australia, i suggest you go for it. GK make some good stuff, check out the 1000RB head ;)

3. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    If i could travel back in time, i would go back to the day that i bought my SVT3 and give myself a right hook and a triple uppercut. Its a heap of junk.........meh, each to their own though.

If you're keen on the mesa, check out 'Pro Audio' in Canberra - http://www.proaudio.com.au/index.html

Their website is garbage at the moment, but they're a great store with great staff, they're also the australian importer of mesa goods.

So whatever price you've been told you can get it for in sydney, pro audio will beat it. They sell their mesa stuff to other stores at the same price that they sell their gear to the general public. So as you can imagine, there is a considerable markup if you shop elsewhere.

If you wanna save some dollars, try maybe a 210 with a 115 instead of the 410. I played that rig(210+115) through a mpulse360 the other week when i was down there, and it was LOUD, way louder than the 360watts suggest(or maybe im just used to my pissweak ampeg) ....sounded pretty darn good too. Nice and fat, kind of wooly, but a real warm and defined nice kind of wool. Not a "what note am i playing" ampeg kind of wool.

btw
    <-biased

4. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    I actually live in Perth, and there is only 1 place over here that stocks Mesa. Because of that, their prices are non-negotiable with Mesa stuff.
    Slot, your biased opinion is starting to win me over more and more:) I was extremely impressed by the M-Pulse amps when I played them. I was thinking about going for the 600W head over the 360W though, because I was thinking that it may not be enough, seem I just blew by cab by amping my 350W head too much...
    And yes I was thinking about the 2x10 instead as well.
    The place I went to, said;
    M-Pulse 360: $3095
    Mesa 1x15: $1595
    Mesa 4x10: $2295
    and
    Mesa 1000W 4x10+1x15: $3695

So I am looking at about 7 grand, more or less... hmmm maybe I will check out the 2x10.
    All Australian dollars, of course ;)

5. My GK 1001RB-II died yesterday for no reason.....it's 2 months old....I'd sooner play through a Fisher-Price.

6. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I've got an SVT3Pro running an SVT1540 cab (4x10/1x15) and it's far from a heap of junk. Ask romeoarmada what he thinks of his. I'd say that the Mesa is a great choice as well. The prices are non-negotiable here in Houston too. I think that Ampeg has more bang for your buck, but if you're not watching your pennys Mesa sounds sweet! You cant' go wrong either way.