Looking for an acoustic bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MinorPentatonic, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Help me please...our son born recently (cue wild applause, street parties and fireworks etc) :hyper: one small problem: now I can't play my electric cos I'll wake the little dude up :bawl: so I was thinking about getting an acoustic instead for the next year or so....anyone recommend one? I've seen a make called Benton which didn't seem too bad, but that's to my untrained eye.....help??? :confused:
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Can't you use headphones?
  3. Ah sorry forgot to mention....my wife works shifts and I don't want to be practising when the little fella's out of sight (and hearing LOL)...no room for bass in nursery!!
  4. Hello, aaah would be about £100-£150 (say $175-$275)
  5. wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I dunno - I think you gotta keep playing! I have twins, and I never stopped practicing after their birth...now they're 4 1/2 and can fall asleep no matter what's going on!

And then buy the ABG anyway!
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Um. There is a volume control on your amp, is there not?
  7. uiop

Aug 22, 2005
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    i dunno, my dad has a takamine acoustic guitar, its really nice, i dunno about prices of takemines tho
  8. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Jeepers guys! Answer the man's question :rolleyes:

Fender and Ibanez make ABGs in your price range. I've played them in shops. The best you can say is that they are OK for the money and maybe that is just what you need. They have large-ish bodies and decent sound. Keep a close eye on the construction.
    Washburn makes a nice one, thinner body, good construction, killer good looks, all round better guitar, you may find one used for under $500.

ABGs can be fun. Very differnet animals from the BGs. Don't go too cheap, the low end models are unrewarding to say the least.

9. I've had my Ibanez AE10 since May and love it it arrived set up nice and plays great. One of the big beefs most people seem to have with many ABGs will most likely work in your favor and that is the fact that they are not as loud as a guitar. My Ibanez is plenty loud for practicing alone and writing songs sounds great plugged in as well. I've heard good things about the Michael Kellys too but I can't stand the inlays on the fretboard. I think every bassist needs an ABG (among other things) so buy one while you have a good reason, especially if you have to sell your wife on the idea.
  10. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Takamine makes a nice ABG. I've been playing a G series (EG512) for about 2yrs now. It plays well and has good volume unpluged. Pluged in it has a warm acoustic tone. There are usually a few on ebay.

I recently bought a Takamine B-10 which is in an entirely different league.
  11. an aucistic would be loud enough to wake a sleeping baby.. wouldnt it? jsut play unplugged?
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I recently played a Dean ACB, and it was pretty good - infact, I liked it better than some Fenders and Ibanezes that were more $$$... The Dean's started at $250, new... - I expect I'll be getting one in the near future...

- georgestrings
  13. I like my MK.....but I don't have the fancy inlays. Pretty good tone unplugged and plugged in.......YMMV
  14. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    I'd recomend Beaver Creek, though I'm not sure if they're available in England. They're distributed here (Canada) by D'Addario. I played one in a shop that also had an Ovation and a Jasmine. Acoustically it was as good as the Jasmine and way better than the Ovation. I ended up buying one at another shop that had three in stock, and I picked out the best one. At the low end of the price range of any product, quality control can be lacking, so you really need to check things over.