Looking for an Acoustic Upright Sound... Help! :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassrebelpr, Sep 17, 2003.

1. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    Hey everyone!

I'm looking for that traditional upright sound but without having to sell my small car and get me some kind of van or limousine. I can't buy a doublebass because it's bigness. I would like yo know how can I make a sound like this without macking any extra sacrifies.

Can I get that sound from an Acoustic Fretless Bass??

I have a 6 string fretless and a musicman stingray 5. I tried muting the fretless, but I couldn't get much the "woody tone" that I heard in upright basses.

Can anyone help me??

2. I would suggest muting with foam rubber at the bridge of the fretless. I would use only the neck pickup and pluck near the neck rather than near the bridge. If your fretless is also active, you may not have much luck in getting the upright sound you're looking for. I use a fretless Jazz Bass and a Reverend Rumblefish and get plenty of thump from either but you're instruments are way different.
  3. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    I've used that and it gave me results, because the bass has almost or no sustain... It sounds like an EUB but I was wondering if I could get the sound of an Acoustic Upright Bass, or almost like and URB.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. But I try my best :D
  4. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    I play a Dean hollowbody fretless rhapsody and it has the best upright tone i've ever gotten from an electric. Really these things have tons of thump and when you tweak em you can get some good mwah or Jaco tone too. Too tell you the truth though, its half playing style. youjust kinda have to get te feeling of muting it right, also fool around with your amps e.q., traditional fretless settings wont give you the sound you want at all.
  5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Rob Allan MB-2
    It nails a upright sound.
  6. You have to resign yourself to the fact that you're never ever gonna get a true upright sound from a bass guitar. This is due to several factors, eg; 41 1/2" scale length, sixe of the body etc. However, you can get an approximation, and the closest to it comes from the Rob Allen bass, as someone else suggested. Using flatwound strings, palm-muting, putting foam under the strings, plucking with the thumb near the end of the fingerboard, all these things will make any bass give an approximation of an upright. I play upright as well as BG, and I have tried every trick known to man, but I can hear the difference a mile off. Face it, the only way to get the upright sound is to play an upright. Forget EUB's. They are wonderful instruments, especially the NS and Eminence models, but they still dont nail the "acousticness". Why do you need a van or limousine? I have a friend who carries his upright in a hatchback, no problem. I use a smallish Mazda station-wagon, no problem.
  7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My Rob Allen should arrive in about a week so I will report on it as soon as I can.