1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for an active DI pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drewkelly, May 15, 2011.

1. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I've heard a lot about the sansamp Bddi, played one and liked it with my jazz bass, but wanted to get some opinions before I purchase one.
    I looking for a nice, warm tube sound. Clean as possible with minimum fuzz.

Any advice?

2. zradguy

zradguy

May 2, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    I have a jazz bass and use a sansAmp bass driver DI. I love it, and it makes a huge impact on my tone. No buzz, hum, fuzz, etc - just a great, powerful and subtle tone shaper. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Z

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    I recommend you to compare it with RedDi, Avalon U5 and Radials. Or maybe even preamp unit like Alembic F-1-X.
    They're all sound great.
    Then you with your personal taste & needs will decide.

Cheers.

4. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Avalon = amazing.
    But let's face it, the SansAmp BDDI is a lot more reasonably priced + amazing in its own right.

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I'd love an Avalon U5.

I ran a Sansamp Programmable BDDI into one... holy cheese batman.

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Markbass Super Booster is my new favorite.

7. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I'd suggest going backwards..

Post a link to a song and then we can discuss how to create it.

How they sound is dependent on the sound tech, gear bass, strings, attack etc...

8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Have you tried the Seymour Duncan Paranormal?

9. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    I really like my BDDI but I havent compared it to much else.....having said that it sounds great and is built well. Eden has a new one that looks interesting

10. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks! I'll give each of those a try.

11. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Aside from the one you have, radial engineering makes fantastic DI's. Radial should be considered if you feel the sansamp adds too much color to your sound (imo). I would keep the setting flat to give you the cleanest signal. I believe you can run it passively(sort of) as well for even less color. It's been six or seven years since I last used mine because I went to an RBI preamp that has the same thing on it so double check about the the last part. On radials , look for an active one if your bass is passive and vice versa if it's active.