1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for an affordable 100-200w all tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnMorgan, Oct 7, 2013.

1. JohnMorgan

JohnMorgan

Oct 7, 2013
    I started playing last christmas (I played nothing but guitar before then), but I've picked it up very quickly, and I'm looking to switch over to bass for good. I'm currently using a fender rumble 150, but I want to upgrade to something better.

I'm looking for something in between 100 to 200w, thats affordable and sounds good.

Any Ideas?

2. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    Better if you can define affordable, at least in a range. What is to one may not be to another.

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Define affordable;)

I recently picked up a used Peavey VB-2 from Guitar Center used online. Hope to gig with it this Saturday.

4. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Do you have a solid rationale for going all tube? I'm not trying to deter you but I find that smaller tube amps have limited tone options. They do slightly-broken up and completely broken up exceptionally well but don't really have a lot of clean headroom.

The Ashdown CTM100 is ok, and the Drophead 200 might be an option as well. They sound rocky and good and they don't carry a huge price tag.

I personally wouldn't go full tube unless I was prepared to go the whole hog and get an SVT CL or VR, which may be possible for you if you're in the US. I hear you can get one on the s/h market for about a grand which is about 2000 less than I could get one for here.

5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    An SVT-CL with new tubes and a road case on wheels has been on craigslist here since 8/19 - asking price $1500 USD.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I picked up an Eden E300T from the TB classifieds for about 700 bucks. As others have brought up, is there any reason to go all tube? My go to amp is my GK 700rb which I picked up for half the price of the tube head.

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Where you are is pretty key.

8. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Yeah. Full tube bass amps hold their price really well over here. You'll pay over 3k street for a new SVT. Unless it's busted $2500 would be a good deal for s/h.

9. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    If you can find one- a Pignose B100VH.
    I run it thru 2-12" cab, it kills !

Great all tube head! Got mine for $170 ! New tubes and biased .

Very similar to a B4B.

10. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Sorry - V4B

11. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Relative budget is important. I see Ampeg V4/V4B's and Peavey VB2's selling on CL for $400-500 at minimum here. SVT's and most others are never under $750. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a decent to nice cab with a high efficiency to help cope with the low wattage and increase clean headroom a little. Then we have at least another $200, probably more like $500.

12. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I have (had) well under $500 (each) into my Ampeg V4 and my Traynor YBA-3. Both, early 70s models.

I say "had" because after having them both for a while, I sold the Ampeg and just kept the Traynor for my 100-ish watt rig. If you can find a YBA-3, they sound awesome (better, to me, than the V4), are built like tanks, and are way easier to work on than the Ampeg (according to 2 different techs). And, I think the Traynor is really more like 150 - 160W, versus the Ampeg's 110 or so.

13. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Also, if you want to be über-low-budget, the Bugera 1960 sounds great, it's been my main gigging amp for two years now and never had an issue. It's a Marshall plexi clone, so it sounds fantastic when it breaks up.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    bought a mesa d180 on tb for 675 a few years ago, 200 watts all tube

15. Good price for a rare bird!

Modern Traynor YBA200-2 go for $500 used.