Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for an amp the makes a good Thick sound.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dox, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Hey everyone. I have posted before on the bass section and they suggested that I upgrade my amp before I get a new bass. Well right now I have a 19 Watt Epiphone Studio Bass 10. So I am looking for maybe around 100-150 watts. I want a amp or cab/head that is well known for giving out a deep thick sound. The lower the better. If you can give me some suggestions and how much that piece of equipment would aproximatly cost, and also maybe a website I could check for it to, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    My suggestion would be a Crate BX-100. I know that this seems like kinda an odd choice, but if you demo one you'll see what I mean. I get a nice thick, full, almost "upright" sound by setting the contour at 9 o clock with the 50 hz slider boosted 2 notches. It's pretty impressive, everyone that I've had listen to the amp has been really impressed with it.

I got mine on sale (last year's model) for $325. List price is $500. Try out http://www.crateamps.com for more info or check out my review in the reviews section. Another amp that I would try would be an Ampeg B100R, I've heard great things about the fullness of the sound coming out of those as well as the SWR Workingman's 15.