Looking for an amp the makes a good Thick sound.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dox, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Hey everyone. I have posted before on the bass section and they suggested that I upgrade my amp before I get a new bass. Well right now I have a 19 Watt Epiphone Studio Bass 10. So I am looking for maybe around 100-150 watts. I want a amp or cab/head that is well known for giving out a deep thick sound. The lower the better. If you can give me some suggestions and how much that piece of equipment would aproximatly cost, and also maybe a website I could check for it to, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    My suggestion would be a Crate BX-100. I know that this seems like kinda an odd choice, but if you demo one you'll see what I mean. I get a nice thick, full, almost "upright" sound by setting the contour at 9 o clock with the 50 hz slider boosted 2 notches. It's pretty impressive, everyone that I've had listen to the amp has been really impressed with it.

I got mine on sale (last year's model) for $325. List price is $500. Try out http://www.crateamps.com for more info or check out my review in the reviews section. Another amp that I would try would be an Ampeg B100R, I've heard great things about the fullness of the sound coming out of those as well as the SWR Workingman's 15.