looking for an amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by storm10, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Well im looking for an amp that will sound good on both my electric and upright bass. The problem is i only have about $700 or less.
  2. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    More info please. We'll need to know what kind of music and what kind of places you're playing in. Of course you could also fill in your profile and we'd have half a clue already ;)
  3. ok, well for jazz band i play mainly funk, jazz, and rock. With my band we play pop punk stuff. For jazz band we play in a auditorum that seats about 1500. For my band most of our gigs will be in a building thats about the size of a small basketball gym.
  4. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Keep going...do you have a pickup on your DB? If so do you have a preamp for it? Do you have PA support for your EB stuff? What kind of amps are you up against in your band?

I would guess that you are going to need something like a GK400RB, a preamp for the DB, and a couple of 2x10 or 1x12 cabinets but more info will help.
  5. i have a k&k double big twin pickup and a k&k pure preamp. yes i could use the PA for help. Im going against a 100 watt marshall(4x12) and a 100 watt fender combo2(2x12)
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Against 200 Watts of tube guitar amps, your only hope is that the guitarists have some musicianship and can control their volume. Otherwise, the arms race is not worth winning.

The 400RB would be a good all-round choice. I am considering one myself for louder gigs where my GK MB150E combo does not quite do the job. Even a relatively small speaker like a 1x12 would be ample for jazz, and perhaps even a 1x15 for rock. I think Peavey still makes 4 Ohm 1x15 cabs?
  7. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    Look around for a used 300 watt RMS head or larger. Buy a Behringer BX3000T if you can't find a good 300 watt head used for $250 or less.

Go to the Steel Sound website site and order the MAB183 enclosure. It is light at 67 lbs. and small enough to fit in a small car. It will also fill a rather large venue if necessary. In other words, it is capable of being quite loud and earthshaking, while sounding great, if that is your style.

Or, the MAB183 is capable of sounding very modern and midrangey. It also has an HF horn that is quite effective. This should bring you in at your targeted amount. You can play just about anywhere with this setup. How do I know? I have this set up, along with several others, and this one gets the job done with the least amount of strain and difficulty carrying it to and from a gig.

Don't let the 18" woofer throw you. This enclosure is quite capable of playing crisp, well defined, non mushy bass.
  8. yea im definatly staying away from the 18, right now im thinking about the swr wm's 12 and then a extension 10. Also my guitarist dont play that loud its just my drummer
  9. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    The WM12 is a good choice for the DB and the jazz band gigs on electric. However, it's only 120 watts or so with the extension. The key here is getting enough speaker surface area in two innexpensive cabs so you don't have to haul everything to every gig. The Avatar 2x10's and SB112 are cheap and you could get one of each or two of the same and turn the horns off for DB. Stacked, they would give you the volume and cut you need for the punk EB stuff. For the DB jazz stuff you could bring one or the other. A good choice for used cabs is the SWR workingman's 2x10. I stand by the GK idea from a cost and reliability standpoint. The older ones can be had for $150 on ebay and my tech raves about how they are bullet proof and very repairable if they do go down. Most other heads in that price catagory are single ciruitboard solid state units with minimal cooling capability. I'm sure your $700 could do well with this type of stuff - especially used.

If you were outfitting just for DB, I would say you were on the right track with the SWR combo. If you are playing rock music with a 100 W 4x12 guitarist you will need more power and more surface area.
  10. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    DB needs clean, undistorted amplification. BG needs serious tone tweaking and some 2nd harmonic distortion. You can take a clean amp and add coloration, but you can't go the other way around. A clean sounding rig with a Bass Pod would give you all the sounds you need.

I use an Acoustic Image amp with a pair of Euphonic Audio cabinets. Great clean DB sound (as well as acoustic guitar, banjo and mandolin), and I can use pedals to get some funk in the tone for BG.
  11. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I agree totally with mje. If you had more money to spend, lower volume requirements, or no Punk band to deal with, I would have suggested you take a different direction all together. Anytime you mix the big boy with a slab bass, you are compromising. Add a budget to that, and you are compromising more.
  12. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have been using a kickback for both for the time being. It will be plenty for the jazz gig, and you can easily add a cab for the Punk pop band.

The hartke is great for BG IMO for the buck. It is not as nice as a GK 150 or more higher end amp made for DB, but it will get the job done.

For your budget you could buy one and a cab used.

Good luck
  13. Which kickback do you use? I tought the 1x10 sounded amazing on electric, but I didn't have my upright to check it out then. Peace. ASG