1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for an amphead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kombo, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Looking at orange amphead or a ampeg one, any other suggestions?

Also, is a tech 21 tube amp a preamp or an amphead? What function would it serve?

spaz21387 likes this.
  2. Pretty open ended question. Go play through as many amps as you can. Something will speak to you.

3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I don't know nuttin' as a newb, but good fella here steered me to US made Carvin. I hadn't looked expecting $$$. Found good pricing and on sale this month. Only problem I have is deciding between 700 watt or 1600 watt mx :D

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I think you mean Sansamp, not "tube amp." Anything from Tech 21 labeled Sansamp is a preamp or preamp pedal. Use it in front of a recording console, into a PA, as an effect, or as a preamp for a suitable power amp.

Tech 21 does make 500 watt and a 1000 watt bass amp heads.

Tech 21 VT Bass 500 - 500-watt Character Series Lightweight Bass Head
    Tech 21 dUg Pinnick Signature 1000-Watt Bass Amp Head

What is your budget? What are your power needs and speaker cabinets?

5. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    So a tube amp and amphead are different? A tube amp is more of a preamp? Budget isn't an issue, unless it's out of this work, I want a reliable long term piece of equipment, what does the wattage matter? If I'm just running into the PA, how does that affect it?

Thanks, Kombo

6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
  7. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    No, sorry. A tube amp usually means an amplifier and preamplifier all in one using tubes for the whole thing, not just the pre amp...
    You should visit this link: AMPS FAQ!! Info on OHMS, Allsize RIGS-OverUnderPowerCabs DIY TechTalk-Links

spaz21387, mbelue and monsterthompson like this.
  8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Do not worry about the PA until you understand a bit more about bass amps. Wattage rates power output. What speaker cabinets are you using?

spaz21387 likes this.
  9. Terminology always confuses. pre-amps (historically and practically) take a small signal and get it to a higher one, suitable for another device. So the people that use PA style amplifiers need a line level input (.77v or 1.4v) to get maximum output from the amp. A guitar can't manage anywhere near this, so you use a preamp - which usually has volume, eq and perhaps an effects loop connection - this then supplies the amplifier.

Many people refer to the amp head (amphead) as the thing that sits on top of the speaker cabinet, and has sockets to connect the guitars, and the speakers. So something like a Line 6 pod would be a pre-amp, the sansamps literally, without amps, are very similar - but sans amp is a brand name.

10. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Do I need cabs? I have a decent fender amp, but I usually just plug into the di without an amp unless I have to.

11. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    image.

12. Some of us need pictures. BassRigDiagram.

What is the decent Fender amp of which you're speaking?

wmhill, Jim Carr, Robb Fesig and 3 others like this.
  13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Wattage is a lot like money. It doesn't really matter until you don't have enough. :D

spaz21387 likes this.
  14. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    You really need to carefully describe what you have and what you end goal is. Cabs are speaker cabinets normally meaning with drivers (the raw speakers) loaded. Without speakers you dont need an amp.

15. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Sorry about that, I'm kinda new to the whole gear scene.

I have a Fender Rumble 100 amp, and a sans amp bass driver pedal.

What I thought(please correct me if I got it wrong) is my bass going into my pedalboard, to my future rack/preamps into an amp head, from there into the board, the amp is if I can't plug into the DI for some reason.

Would I want to go through an amp as well as an amp head to the DI?

kosmicwizard likes this.
  16. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    bass --> effects (these may be pedals or racked or both) --> preamp (usually with DI out) --> poweramp --> speakers

the preamp (volume, tone controls, DI out etc) is often in the same box as the poweramp and this combination is then called a 'head'.

UPDATE: after looking at your profile info, I think what you are probably looking for is a poweramp. You would run a cable out from the sansamp to the poweramp and from there to one or two speaker cabinets -- depending on when you want your tinnitus to start, the possibilities are endless, but a pair of 410s, an 810 or 610 (you're young and strong) or a couple of 212s would be the sort of boxes you were looking at, with a poweramp with enough welly to drive them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  17. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Thanks! Is this a power amp?
    Orange AD200B MK 3 All Tube Bass Amplifier Head

18. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    StrangerDanger and kat888 like this.
  19. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    No, it is a self contained amplifier head with both pre and power amps. You can run the sansamp into the input but *personally* if I had that amp I would want nothing between my bass and the amp but a cable.

I recommended the sansamp into poweramp as I believe your bass hero goes through a sansamp these days and I have also read here he used Orange kit previously.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    spaz21387 likes this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Is this guy just messing with us or what...:wacky: