Looking for an idol....?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 18, 2000.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play, or would like to think I play, or would like to play in the future, a Heavy Funk/Les Claypool/Flea type style, you know all the funk and groove possible, but inflicted with a really heavy style, like, 30 lb. lead weight heavy, heavy enough to move some mud (grunge/hard rock/metal type).

Is there any artist that plays a simmilar style. Not exact, but some one who would make me say "Yeah, something like that" Right now, I'm into the simmilar taste in bass playing I share with Mudvayne Bassist Ryan Martini "Ryknow" I don't know if the album production is good, but having seen him live...I know that he plays somewhat like I am thinkin.

Back to the question, anybody play Like I'm asking about? Or am I gonna have to become my own bass legend and open up a can of Bass Monster on my own ass?
  2. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    Maybe Marcelo D. Rapp from soulfly or maybe that's not funk enough but it is heavy.
    Just a suggestion.
    I'd kind of like know someone who played like that too, it's a very interesting style.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Check out the bassist Dorian27 from Powerman 5000. I really admire his work and it somewhat fits your description.

That said, I really prefer your idea to become your own bass god and open up a a can of whoop ass bass playing. The beauty part is that if you create your own style, people won't be saying, "Oh you play like Claypool and Flea!" They'll be telling their friends to listen to you because your playing is so new, exciting, fresh and unique. It may take a lot of trial and effort to achieve that unique style, but it is certainly worth the effort and you will learn a great deal on your journey to that point. Good luck in your mission to be the next bass hero on the cover of Bass Player magazine.

Jason Oldsted
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany