1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for an inexpensive dual humbucker bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olds_cool63, Aug 3, 2012.

1. olds_cool63

olds_cool63

Oct 11, 2010
    Hey, y'all.

I'm a long time guitarist who took up bass about a year ago. I have a Silvertone Jazz bass that I've done some mods on and sounds really good.

Now, I'm looking for an inexpensive dual humbucker bass. Moddings my thing, so that's why I want it to be on the inexpensive side. It will never be used for performing, just for learning and laying down tracks.

So, if you have an idea, please share.

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

I FUNK, therefore I am.
    (now can you dig it?)

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Define inexpensive

3. olds_cool63

olds_cool63

Oct 11, 2010
    A couple of hundred bucks or so...

Also, what about a MusicMan type clone? Would removing the pickguard reveal a cavity to add a 2nd pickup? If that's the case, then there are a slew of those out there.

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

I FUNK, therefore I am.
    (now can you dig it?)

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Used G&L L2K Tribute.

As for your MM clone question, it would depend on the clone. I'm not aware of many at all, EB keeps most of the blatant ripoffs in check with their lawyers. A legit EBMM does not have any cavity under the pickguard, just until the control plate.

5. olds_cool63

olds_cool63

Oct 11, 2010
    Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I looked at that Xaviere and came really close to ordering, but wanted to see what else was out there. Fact is, it's number one on my list. I was asking the people over at the agileguitarforum what they thought. I was also looking at a couple of Dean models, but I'm not sure about them, yet.

Anyway, I'm just putting together a list and will most likely pick up something in a week or 2.

Oh, yeah....I don't wanna do used at this time...ya dig?

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

I FUNK, therefore I am.
    (now can you dig it?)

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Maybe one of the Ibanez SR series would fit your needs.

7. lewink

lewink

Jul 19, 2009
    Baldwinsville N.Y.
    Peavey grind

8. BjornStravinsky

BjornStravinsky

Sep 23, 2009
    The Yamaha RBX 374 was my first bass, I traded it in for a Music Man Sabre, because I didn't need two double humbucker basses with 2 band active EQs. Otherwise, it was fantastic. Very smooth, playable satin neck, well balanced, kept in tune well, reasonable sustain(it's no Henman-Bevilacqua, but what else is?). And it offered a fantastic array of tones.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yep. This.

10. jag-atk

jag-atk

May 5, 2010
  11. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    yamaha RBX 374, i have the 5 string model and love it!

12. Ibanez RB850 from the 80's. Got one for 150$ on the Bay with OSHC. Two big humbuckers switchable to series/ parallell, lightweight basswood body, great neck. I often use it as a main bass on gigs cause it sounds great.

These were selling for about 600$ back then.

13. olds_cool63

olds_cool63

Oct 11, 2010
    Hey, y'all.

I decided to go with the Dean Edge 10 with the active hum buckers, metallic red.

Should be here in a few days. I'll set it up and jam on it for a few and put up a review of what I think.

It's nowhere near a top bass, but should suit my needs just fine for now.

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

I FUNK, therefore I am.
    (now can you dig it?)

14. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
  15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    fenders new tele style bass w/ dual humbuckers is acually a pretty nice piece, I would buy one.

another inexpensive entry level bass is the yamaha 170 model. its a P/J setup but sounds great w/ flats or rounds and is under $200

16. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

On the Peavey Grind & the Yamaha RBX374/375. I own both of those & they are both great sounding & playing instruments.

I also own one of these, which is a 35" scale, passive instrument - great playing & sounding too. Plus it has the Push/Pull option to split the humbuckers into single coil mode.

Schecter Raiden Special 5:

000_0120-3.

The 4 model string is listed at $379.00

17. olds_cool63

olds_cool63

Oct 11, 2010
    Well, thanks for all the info, gang.

I went with a Dean Edge 10...should have it in a day or so.

I'll post up what I think once I get it and set it up, put it through it's paces.

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

I FUNK therefore I am.
    (now can you dig it?)

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Send it back and get a G&L Tribute :)