Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for an ISB Roomate

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by nicklloyd, Jan 10, 2003.

1. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Allright gang...

I'm trying to save my pennies. The Radisson is @$80 a night. I don't smoke, don't do weird drugs (just caffeine and alcohol, thank you), and am looking for another DBTalkbasser to split a room during the ISB Convention in Richmond, VA. You will get to share a room with a Certified Luthier (ha ha ha).

BUT, if you "hook up" with anyone else during the week, you gotta go to her/his room. No screwin', that's the only rule. LOL....

PM or email at nlloyd5@yahoo.com

2. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    I may be interested, but I'm not sure what the conference costs.

Any idea what the price of admission is for the conference?

3. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've got prices for exhibiting, housing, competition fees, but no overall convention fee. check www.isbworldoffice.com

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Nick--See you there, but, sadly, not as roomates. I snore and fart too much...

5. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Are you shackin' up with Jeff?

6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    What exactly do you mean by that?

7. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Are you (Arnold Schnitzer) shackin' up (sharing a room) with Jeff (with Jeff Bollbach)?

Want it in spanish?

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Arnold doesn't swing that way. [spanish, I mean] Plus he farts too much and doesn't drink enuf. Mebbe we should consider splitting the 80 bucks. Drink some tequila and pour over woodworking catalogs.

9. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Tequila and woodworking catalogs, eh? How about bourbon and ocean kayak brochures?

10. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well, we'll prolly be there more than one nite!

11. This conversation is begging for someone to fill in the bubble. With visions of farts, snores, booze, sex, funny little boats and copies of the American Woodworker spread around the hotel room there has to be some great material for the cartoon bubble.

12. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    It sure doesn't paint a flattering portrait of luthiers!

Hey-wait a minute, whadde'ye mean "funny little boats"?

13. Also, there in the corner of the hotel room is a Budda like statue of Tage Frid with small candles and incense burning. Placed in front of their diety is a well worn copy of their bible "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking".

14. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My personal torah is "Violin Restoration" by Hans Weishaar.
    Is Bob Branstetter going? Watch out for his BO, it could interfere with your BS, and then the whole thing would be a SNAFU, and you would be SOL. LOL!

15. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
  16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

***???:confused:

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Yeah, I got it. I was just trying to respond in kind. Thanks for the heads up, though. FWIW, LMWIAO!!!

18. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The "BO" is referring to Bob's affinity for the AO/BO relationship in doublebasses. I was just trying to be punnee.

It looks like Jeff Bollbach lost the bet. He's sharing a suite at the Embassy with me. Look for our posters announcing the "Liquid Therapy for Luthiers" at the convention. It's a 2-step program. 1)Admit You Have A Problem- you're a luthier. 2)Accept Your Future- have a drink.

This therapy session will be every night, and maybe some days.

19. Ed - Since you seem to be the only one around here who knows the difference between the letter "O" and the number "0" zero, I'll give you the quick and dirty explanation. The A0 and B0 refer to two of the vibration modes of string instruments. The A0 is the resonance frequency of the body. You can sometimes hear that frequency by blowing across the G side F hole (like blowing over the top of a bottle). For all practical purposes, it can not be changed once the instrument is assembled. The B0 refers to the resonance frequency of the neck/scroll/fingerboard assembly. The B0 frequency can be changed by removing wood from the end of the FB or by removing wood from the center of the fingerboard. It is the same method used to tune marimba bars.

The purpose of A0/B0 matching is to get the body and the neck vibrating as a unit. Some players have noticed that their instrument play better or worse when a fingerboard is changed or and extension is added. If it gets worse, it can frequently be shown that the B0 has moved away from the A0. A0/B0 matching can many times make an instrument play like (or better) than it did before the change. One of the more noticeable things that happens when the A0 & B0 are matched, is that you can "feel" the note vibration in the neck as you are playing. A0/B0 matching was discovered and developed by members of the Catgut Acoustical Society.