Looking for an O'Hagan... ring a bell anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HamInChains, Oct 12, 2002.

1. I used to own one about 8 years ago.. my first bass, bought at a pawn shop for $150.
    I had to sell it b/c it was warped and deteriorated beyond repair. I found someone that collected them, believe it or not, and wanted to restore it.

Now, I'm well aware that these basses don't exactly have the greatest tone, but MAN did they ever have character! I loved the freaky way that thing looked... and that headstock... friggin' huge!!

I'm looking to find another, if they're still out there. If anyone knows a place you could direct me to, that'd be great.

2. TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    I own a 79 or maybe 80 I believe it is a "nightwatch" though I'm not certain. It's active neck through and has solid tone. All maple very heavy and beautiful wood work and finish. Bad part is the truss rod nut is stripped and I'm trying to repair it. I love the thing and would never get rid of it but would love to chat with who ever restores them for some info and tips if possible.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yep, they came out late 70's/early 80's IIRC. I considered buying one... I think I might even have a brochure around here.
  4. I played a "shark" years ago,IIRC it was a neck thru w\ a P pup. bizzare body style but it was so cool
  5. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I remember seeing their ads in guitar mags in the 80's. I might even still have some!
  6. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
  7. Here is the bass in the link above.

8. Dragging up an old thread :)
    I gave up the search several years ago, but I've recently rekindled the hunt! I'd still love to get my hands on an O'Hagan "shark" bass. If anyone out there knows where I can find one, shoot me a message!
  9. c10

Apr 10, 2005
    Naperville, IL
    I had one back around 1985-1990. The finish was cracking around the fret ends so I refinished in poly. I also covered the pickups in wood veneer to match the neck-through wood (walnut/maple/walnut?). Sold it for pennies before they became "vintage". If I remember right, the neck was a little too flexible (i.e. you could bend notes by leaning on it).
    Geeky safety glasses pic (during the refinishing).