Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for an old Bartolini TCT preamp (2 band)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Music Attorney, May 29, 2004.

1. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    I have searched this site, eBay, etc. and am having trouble finding an old Bartolini TCT preamp (2 band) for sale. Any thoughts on where I might find one?

I'm posting the request here (instead of in the "wanted" section) because I'm curious if anyone knows whether that preamp went through changes while it was offered for sale. My goal is the Marcus Miller sound. He says he’s had his Bart installed for 20 years. Do I need to consider this (i.e., find a TCT from the early-mid 80’s)?

Also, I have seen a couple of basses for sale with the Bart preamp. If the preamp isn’t readily available on its own, perhaps you could suggest an old inexpensive bass that has that particular preamp. Again, if the age of the Bart makes a difference, then that would impact which old bass I would want to buy.

Thanks in advance.

MA

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I've got one (if fact I've got 3 of them) and it's just sitting. I've been intending to send it bay way just haven't got around to it. The TCT is actually a 3 band preamp but you can leave out the mid unit and wire it for 2 band. In fact that's how it came in my recollection cause I don't have a mid unit for it. Email me at Luknfur@aol.com and let me know if you just want the preamp or what set-up you need.

3. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I’m no expert, but based on my research, I would say the following:

1. Marcus answered a question on his website regarding whether he had a 2 band or a 3 band and he specifically said he had a 2 band TCT.
    2. This website and others contain posts that specifically reference a 2 band TCT.
    3. While the 2 band TCT has been discontinued and is not mentioned on the Bartolini website, there is a reference to the NTCT which is a 3 band unit, but that’s not what I’m looking for.

Therefore, I’m confused by your statement that “The TCT is actually a 3 band preamp but you can leave out the mid unit and wire it for 2 band.” If what you say is true, then I’ll get in touch with you, but I’m going to need to do a little research first because I’m not sure what you said is accurate.

Regards,
    MA

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually, I don't have 3 TCT's. I have two TCT's and an XTCT-LZ. But I know for a fact the two TCT's I have say TCT on the preamp, not NTCT. Also the previous Bart 2 band to the NTBT was the TBT (in my recollection). And I know the TCT can be wired for 2 band. If there's a difference, logically I'd think they would have named them differently but maybe not. I think the Bart email is still messed up but you can call them - they should know.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    You know,

I've been running across a bunch of Bart TC3 preamps lately, which I'd never heard of. It's a 2 band and probably what you were actually looking for. It would be real easy for somebody to typo something like that into an article.