1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for an upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirko, Jun 27, 2007.

1. kirko

kirko

Jun 27, 2007
    alright. well heres some background.

well ive been playing bass since i was 11, so 6 years now... pretty much every night. ive always loved instraments and ive come to the conclusion that the love only grows with better instraments. ive played piano since i was 4, one of those kids who were forced to play, always played on a classinova electric keyboard with no dynamics to it... but just recently came accross a baby grand piano, long story short ive noticed an amazing amount of progress in technique since.

first and only bass ever owned was/is an Ibanez GSR200. throughout the years ive loved it but now im looking for an upgrade...

what im looking for is a high end bass that im going to want to keep forever. hopefully used because of financial status.

ive been getting into slap more and more, but just recently ive swayed off to the blues, so i want a bass thats pretty versitile. i was thinking about a musicman stingray/sterling, an ESP VINTAGE-4, or possibly a fender. im not even sure... hence this post.

i know this is pretty general but just throw some ideas this way.

2. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I've recently been looking for a better instrument and have taken a liking to the American Fenders, I'm going to go back and play the Ernie Balls again too.

3. HH ray maybe

4. Why not a high-end Ibby? With a neck-through SR Prestige you're gonna feel like home :)

5. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    MusicMan.................

That is all. :D

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Think of all the things you could get...Warwick, Status, Sandberg, the list goes on...

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    From the brands that you have just mentioned, an HH SR5 would be versatile enough. If you really want to go versatile (without breaking your bank account) try US Masters or Carvin. if you would like to try the custom route, the sky is the limit

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The Ibanez you have is certainly better than average for the price range, so you'll want to look at some pretty nice stuff for a real upgrade. I think a Jazz bass is always a good bet, it works for just about any kind of music.

Don't discount the option of getting a really nice amp. I don't know what you are playing through now, but I think this is an area that people sometimes neglect when thinking of upgrades. I mean, it's a lot more fun to look at basses with different woods, colors, and pickups than a metal box with dials on it. Still, that can be the best bang for your buck.

Finally, I'd say play as many instruments as you can find locally. No one knows what's best for you except you! :D

9. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Howabout a Valenti, or even a Stambaugh. They're only a bit over the Musicman range. Could always watch the classifieds here like a hawk too.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    EBMM SR4 or SR5 HH...very versatile, very high quality.

11. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Definitely go for a Valenti! That's in the Stingray price range and you can customize it to fit your desires.

Valenti Basses

12. What's your budget? A Marcus Miller would be great for slap style and blues. Fairly reasonable too. If your budget is $500 - $750 used, that's an entirely different range of instruments than if it's $1500-$2000 used.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021