1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for Appraisal Info on a 70's Fretless P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dthawkins, Apr 26, 2006.

1. dthawkins

dthawkins

Apr 19, 2006
    I need some help finding some one who can accurately appraise a Fender Fretless P-Bass. I think it is from the 70's. Good condition.

Please Advise.

Thanks.

2. Hello!

Do you mean someone you can physically take it to, or do you just need some info on-line?

If so, fire away... If I can't help you I'm sure someone else can.

3. dthawkins

dthawkins

Apr 19, 2006
    Well, I may want to get sell if it's worth selling. I am basically just interested in finding some one or some site that may be able to provide some reference. I can send photos later, if you are interested.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Based on the detailed description you provided, I'd say is worth between $275 and $1500, give or take.

Or, you might want to do some research at eBay - that will give you a somewhat accurate reference of market prices, offer and demand.

As for an "expert," I know Gruhn Guitars offers a service.

Here:

http://www.guitarpriceonline.com/

5. dthawkins

dthawkins

Apr 19, 2006
    this great, thank you.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    www.gruhnguitars.com

They will appraise it, for a fee. You get a certificate from them with the appraised value. Their appraisal holds some weight in the vintage guitar market.

7. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Go to a Borders or B&N, or other big book store, and pickup a copy of the 2006 Vintage Guitar Price Guide. You should buy it, but you could also just look up what you are interested in. This info is not online, its in the book.

What YEAR of the 70's do you know? Whats the serial number?

8. dthawkins

dthawkins

Apr 19, 2006
    Serial Number is 361066.

I an email pictures if anyone wishes.

9. It's 72-ish, which is fairly early for a fretless, assuming it's factory. Pics would be handy...

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Bass looks to be more a 1973- 1974.
    In that condition, price $1500.00-$2000.00.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Right now...looks pretty rough, pretty dirty, looks like it got put away "broken."
    No disrespect or nuttin'-but it sure doesn't seem like it was cared for.
    Cleaned up, restrung, everything working with no issues? Maybe $1200? As previously mentioned, ebay is pretty good at reflecting current market value, tho not that many early fretless show up:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...00&fpos=65201&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You might find a generous appraiser that would give you that value, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a buyer that would pay more than $1,200 for that bass in that condition.

13. dthawkins

dthawkins

Apr 19, 2006
    Yeah; I was thinking 73'.

That's about what I was expecting.

Does anyone out there know who may be interested?

Thank you for the estimate, anyone else have any thoughts.