1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for Bass FATNESS!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lburton2, Jul 18, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I run a 5-String Fender w/Active Nordstrand Electronics and Pups through an Eden rig.. The sound I get is very articulate. Every note is heard and well defined.. What I want to be able to achieve is an old school "fat" type of sound. Merely rolling off the tone knob or using the EQ doesn't quite do it..

Would a compressor be the trick? I've been doing some research and it looks like a tube type compressor, such as the Markbass Compressore, would probably be the best bet. Any suggestions? :help:

2. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Are you using flatwound strings?

3. How about a big ol tube amp? That's how I get that sound.

You have a HiFi set-up, maybe the Compressore will help, IDK

A Preamp probably would do more to change your sound.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Someone call my name?

5. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    No. It's a 5-string w/34" scale length.. So flatwound low B strings usually don't work out well.. And I do play slap occasionally so flats don't quite make the cut.

A big ol' tube amp would probably cut it.. But unfortunately I don't have THAT much money to throw around. Maybe something to get me close?

6. If you give a budget, then we can get you as close as possible

7. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    under $300 preferably - used or new

8. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    You really ought to give some chrome flats a shot. They will get you that fatness. They won't yield the same tone as rounds, but they can be slapped on effectively also, especially the lighter gauge.

9. Are you also looking for gain/OD?

10. tonyp145

tonyp145

Apr 1, 2012
    Kent, WA
    How about the VT Bass pedal? It offers a lot of tonal flexibility with the Character and Drive knobs and some EQ as well. Might get you part of the way there without breaking the bank or messing up the tone you like.

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The Cave B-Drive Grunt works well with high-output basses to add a little girth at the bottom and without distorting.

You might get the "fattty" you desire with a compressor, and Bongo's site (http://www.ovnilab.com/) can help you with that research.

If you can find one, two pedals from FEA would give you that tone without distortion: Growler and Dual Band Distortion. Both are AWESOME pedals, but rarely come up for sale.

12. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Try a different brand of cab. A lot of tone is in the speaker. Ampeg or Fender ought to be a good place to start.

13. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Don't get it? Why not set your eq on the bass flat and boost the bass and cut the treble when you need the old school sound , I thought that was what onboard preamp used for

14. The Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal can thicken things up. Aguilar in general is known for "fat" sound.

15. Are you wanting to have this sound all the time or just occasionally? This would help determine whether a pedal or different rig setup would be better.

16. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    What is your bass exactly? Is it a jazz bass? If so, get a precision.

17. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Slather it in cheeseburgers

18. what he said...

19. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Bah. Forget precisions. A Gretsch with a TV Jones humbucker has an awesome fatty tone. :)

20. I dare say swith to passive on a first instance.

I bet you're not changing bass, so compression may suit you, although it woudl just give you "more level" on your sound. Try adjusting the EQ a bit and change your plucking hand position (I dare say cloer to the neck) maybe that will help (I am a fan of making your bass sound with your hands first). Afterwards I'd go for the tube amp option.