Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking For Bass Friends!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punk_bassist48, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Yeah, ok i got no-one here, in my school my grade i have no bassists, i know one other bassist but its a chick who isnt really a great bassist, i want to meet someone who can share songs with me and help, you know, i dunno someone round my age would be awesome so just e-mail me because i need help

Thanks Heaps, Matti
    :bassist:

2. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    If I was you I would try trading ideas with that "chick" you mentioned; just because she may not be that great there still may be something you can learn from her.

Also, dont limit yourself to just bassists; I have prolly learned more about my bass playing by watching/listening to drummer's... And if your really motivated, get yourself a decent ( ie. one that is able to be tuned) hand drum; Djembe, Kete, Bongo, heck, even a Funde, will help you to start thinking "outside the bass" heh

If your very serious about it I would say find a teacher in your area, they would be able to link you up with other bassies; as well as find other musicians you can "jam" with.

If your very new to playing bass you should prolly focus on developing finger strength/coordination and timing because IMO being able to "lock in" with other musicians will take you farther than merely knowing a bunch of fancy techniques and cool riffs; though having both abilities in your arsonel is the ideal.

:edit: Oh yeah, and learn how to read sheet music, even though you may never use it, its a great ability to possess. Im still kicking myself in the arse for not learning it when I had the opportunity.

3. yeah ive been on bass for about.... 2 years and gone through having a teacher and all that junk, but nothing really worked, i do have a really good drummer friend and hes alot of help exept we can jam that much because of other stuff

4. why dont you teach her...damn there were like 4 other bassist at my school and i was the only one that didnt play as low as the strap went and with a pick :meh: ...or that didnt play mainstream..just remember, you were at her stage too.....io actually got off class so i could teach em...and i still go back to my school to play for exams and music nights...being paid of course....but dont be snobbish, my mates who have been playing guitar for about 10 years didnt snob me, it helped me with the desire to be their equal...now im in 2 bands and they aint :D

mind you i take almost as little influence from bassists as possible, my style is really pecussive, i take alot of my influences from guitarists, horns, drums and vocalists.....but i have the whole jaco right hand going :D .......

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    What does the chick look like? :D If she is attractive I would hang out with her and forget about "bass buddies".

If you want to progress you have to think outside the box, or do something a way you normally wouldn't.

A few ideas to try.

Learn pickstyle, tapping, chords, three fingerstyle, etc.

Try different time signatures

Incorporate effects into your playing.

Listen to all forms of music, nothing is worse than listening to a person's solo album and finding it sounds exactly like their band efforts. Diversity is great, and never limiting.

Before playing licks that you have mastered, improvise abstractly for about fifteen minutes to warm out and during this time lock in on the cooler sounds you made. Half the time it will sound like garbage, but it will loosen your hand/wrist up and could stumble on to something cool.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Find some horn and keyboard players. I've learned more from them than I have from any bassist.

7. Amen! A good keyboard player with formal training is a great resource. Just make sure they leave you "space" to play. Add a good drummer and you have a band.

8. ahh thanks guys youve been awesome, about diversifing, i need to find some songs of other styles to learn, any ideas, i can read music, so anything would be great