1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for bass-hoppus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnczyk, Mar 26, 2009.

1. johnczyk

johnczyk

Mar 23, 2009
    looking to buy a bass....primarily interested in Blink 182 music....Hoppus signature bass is abit pricey for a first bass.i need suggestions of what I can buy that will get a similar sound......and be decent in affordability....another jazz bass? a fender precision bass? squier jazz bass?thanx

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Any good bass with a P pickup will get you awfully close. If that bass is indeed what he played on the recordings; I don't know.

Something like this will get you 90% there:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU326800

3. Handreas

Handreas

Nov 16, 2007
    Norway
    I think he used a Stingray on Dude Ranch and a standard american P on Enema of the State (that was before he got his sig).
    I'm not sure about the other albums. I think he used lots of different instruments on their last album, like a Fender Bass VI.

His sig is just a Jazz body + Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder P-pickup and a Precision-neck.
    So a Precision bass will get you closest in terms of specs/sound, a Jazz will get you closest in terms of looks. :)

+1 on a Squier Vintage Modified. They're absolutely great for their price. :)

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Have you shopped E-bay for a Hoppus, I got mine for $350.00. True, it's beat to hell, but it plays just fine. There was a guy selling one in the classifieds around here too IIRC.

The 1/4lb P PUP is the heart and soul of the Hoppus sig bass. Any P with a 1/4lber should sound just like it.

5. johnczyk

johnczyk

Mar 23, 2009
    thanx for all your replies.jon

6. johnczyk

johnczyk

Mar 23, 2009
    I have to look up waht 1/4pound p pups are though!
    jon

7. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    seymour duncan is god of thunder

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Pickup is just a brand of P and J pickups. Very growly, punk feel attack.

What youre looking for!

9. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i have always been impressed by seymour duncans

10. How about this ash bodied SX? It has a p-pup, fat p-bass type neck and is only $159.95.
    spjashna1.
    Oh... and lookee there... it even has an extra j-pup for versatility.;)