Looking for bass OD recommendations under $120

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soundsupport1, Aug 26, 2019.

1. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Hello hive mind,
    Title says it all, really.
    I already have an Eden Glowplug which I use as an always-on boost, giving a little warmth to the signal.
    But I'm looking to fill the last remaining space on my pedalboard with an overdrive to go in my effects loop.
    My criteria are:
    - I'd like something pretty transparent

- minimal gain - it's an off/on effect, one that I might not even use the whole way through the song, so I don't want something that's going to drastically alter the volume level when I turn it on.

- since it's only for occasional use, I don't really want to spend more than a hundred euros. On the other hand, I don't want something so cheap that it compromises the signal quality even when the effect is off!

- Space is also a factor - it can't really be bigger than the standard Boss format pedal.

My number one choice at the moment is the EHX Bass Soul Food, so that gives you some idea the direction I'm thinking.

What other options are out there in this price range?

Thanks for your help, Talkbass!

Peace,
    SoundSupport

EDIT: for clarity

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    If you have room to power digital, go for the Source Audio Aftershock when one pops up used. Stock settings are great, and there's some fantastic options shared out online.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

The most transparent I ever had was the WH Pork Loin and can certainly be bought on the used market inside your budget. I didn't keep mine long (wasn't really what I was going for), but I remember it did sound good on bass and if memory serves me correctly, it can get grittier than the Soul Food. The WH Green Rhino sounds awesome on bass, but I'm not 100% sure about it transparency though.

4. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    Here’s a small builder. He has some stuff leftover from a convention that he’s offering good prices on now.

Daddy Daughter Pedal Works

desmondtencents likes this.
  5. My name is Drew and that's actually my page there: Daddy Daughter Pedal Works!

I haven't logged in here for quite some time, don't play a whole lot of bass so really just drop in to look at specific gear questions/reviews.
    I may not respond quickly to messages here but feel free to message us on Facebook!

soundsupport1 and minddrain like this.
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    TC Spark Booster (the full size version, not the mini) ticks all your boxes. It’s pretty different to the EHX BSF though, to compare:

- The Spark overdrives the entire signal. It doesn’t drop any lows and sounds pretty transparent. The drive nature is quite soft and spongy like a tube pre.

- The BSF blends a drive channel on top of your clean. The drive itself is mostly midrange, lacking in lows and sounds quite aggressive and grainy.

You probably don’t want to put it in the amp’s effects loop btw. They usually run hotter than instrument level which might be too much for most overdrives to handle well.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    BeauZooka likes this.
  7. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    If all you are looking for is adding a slight bit of tube like hair and grid to your tone nothing will really do that better than a proper low gain tube overdrive or tube preamp pedal.

8. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    I'll second the TC Spark (4 knob). Low gain, tube-like, no low-end loss, 2 band EQ. Perfect for me!

I didn't like the Bass Soul Food either.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021