Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for bass repair info

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by flypa38, Apr 17, 2002.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Apr 17, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi fellas! I just started paying on a '52 Kay C-1 today. It's in pretty nasty shape though. It has a hole in the bottom about 1" in diameter, a chip on the front, top, right(????) corner, a bit of a gouge in the fingerboard, and the back is coming unglued in several locations. I'm pretty handy with things like this, but this is gonna be my first wooden upright bass and I'd really like to do a nice job and fix it correctly. Do any of you know any links or the such for a "how to" for this sort of work??? Also the finish is pretty nasty. Should I refinish it, paint it, or leave it alone?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
    Johnny

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    First thing, make a few spool clamps out of threaded rod and wood scraps and wing nuts. Clean out the old glue and reglue the seams. For "amateurs" I recommend you find some Franklin Hide glue. Thin it out some with hot water, and work into the seams with a thin artist's pallette knife. Clamp with enough pressure to close the gap, and viola! Seam closed. Do a neat job and clean the excess with a damp brush or rag. Don't mess with the fingerboard--support your local luthier...Edge de-laminations can be fixed quickly with medium super-glue. Buy the solvent also, to remove your fingertips from the instrument when they glue themselves to it. There's no decent manual out on bass repair. The Hans Weisshar book is the bible for violin-family work. Costs about $400 if you can find it. Good luck!!

3. the MIMF forum ?
    Just as great as Talkbass but
    "Musical Instruments Makers Forum"

Best
    Christian
    http://www.mimf.com/

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You got that right , Christian. For me, the daily ritual is the holy trinity (Bob Gollihur, TalkBass, and then MIMF). If all websites were as great as those three, I'd never get anything done.

5. Hi Marcus !

Yes the sites you mentioned are great !
    Unfortunately there are some other great sites
    on other topics and they do keep me away from the bass...
    Photoshop, watches....

Were is the time ;-))

Best
    Christian:)