Looking for bass that SOUNDS GOOD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by randallpants, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions. I know about the top companys like warwick and lakeland which are good but there is to many kids in this area sporting them. I'm looking for a gem and will have about 1400 dollars to spend does anyone have suggestions?
  2. New or used Hanewinckel ( www.hanewinckelguitars.com )
    Used Roscoe

If you're interested in saving some of that money, consider a Yamaha BB1500A. There are a couple currently on eBay. They're excellent basses.
  3. ok right on ill look into that keep the ideas flowing guys this is what im spending my gradutation money on before i go to college for it.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No, no - you don't want to go looking!!

You want get out there, try basses and listen to find out which sounds best!! ;)
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    How many strings? 4, 5, 6, 7 More? Less?

What type of music do you play?

What type of sound do you want?

What's your Ibanez not doing that you want it to?

What's available in Petosky? How about Traverse City? Can you get down to the Detroit area to visit Low Down Sound in Ferndale (like Joe Walsh once sang...ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice)?
  6. I agree you should try out whatever you can.

Another thing you could do is e-mail (or PM) Adrian Garcia at www.accessbass.com or Gard at www.basscentral.com . They're both forumites here on Talk Bass, and they're both wonderful dealers. I could also recommend Steve Frank at www.superbass.net , but he's not a forumite (however I've met him in person, and he's a good guy).
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    start at the end of your wrist young padiwan.

the sound is in your hands my man!
  8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Get a Spector CZECH. Musicians Fiend(not a typo) 1399.99. Neck-thru (beautiful sustain), EMG's, beautiful finish and the playability that hs made them famous. No matter what kind of music you play. So many albums have been recorded with them right into the board, no pre. IMO the best bass below $2000.

Good luck.

9. Your website is KEWL! I like the bobbing doll heads!

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ahah yea they are cool.
  12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
  13. man, that's too broad a request, dude.......
    Jon Burnet said it best, it's in your hands...you know?
  14. sweet thanks guys you've helped i relieze alot of it is in more the way you play it because this year i started getting lessons and polishing my form and i love the tone coming out of it. Ah my style well im in a nu-metal meets hardcore meets dashboard confesionals type band. With heavy low end tone but also i love with a passion slap and bass with super easy action. The ibanez i have is pretty good but im looking for a gem to show off hopefully at berklee.
  15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Ahhhh...you want an out of the ordinary gem to dazzle them with at college....

How about a Hoyt? Actually, I believe that Karl is booked up now, but the more I play mine, the less I want to play anything else...

A Dingwall would make their heads spin...
  16. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    the only thing that will impress them at college is chops, tone, and ideas.

the nicer bass you have, the more chops you're gonna have to have to impress.
  17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Good point...

Lessons then...
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are spending ~$1400 on a bass, make sure that you play a Peavey Cirrus before you buy anything.

Also, consider buying used. You can get a used Cirrus for under $1000, and for $1400, you can get a used Modulus, Zon, or Warwick Streamer Stage I or II.