Looking for bassist in Chicago...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bebob, Jan 28, 2003.

1. bebob

Jan 28, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm new here and I'm not a bassist. I must say that a very good bassist friend of mine recommended checking out this site and I'm glad he did because this is a great resource for any musician. The gigging advice alone would keep me coming back.

Unfortunately, that friend lives 200 miles away and a move to Chicago is out of the question. That's a shame, because his innate rhythmic ability is astounding and we communicate very well together tonally.

Well, I'm now in a band with another guitarist and a drummer. You'll have to trust me, both of us guitarists play our instruments more like keyboards. There will be no shredding solos going on here. Our focus is on tightness during the songs and on communication during the jams. The drummer is spot on. He's quite capable technically, very dynamic, and is a very alert participant in the music, i.e. he plays much more than 4's and fills. :)

Our other guitarist is a songwriter with over 60 songs under his belt. I play more of a composer/arranger role and right now we've been playing with an "interim" bassist (his words). This isn't what he wants to do for a living, he's pretty much doing it as a favor so that we can keep working on songs. We're looking for a bassist in the Chicago area who has the ability to learn new songs as quickly as we write them, has the ability and the knowledge to communicate with the other members in an improvisatory setting, is comfortable playing different meters, and is comfortable playing in many different tonal areas. A sense of humor is a big plus.

Our collective influences are quite varied, but some major common influences would be The Beatles, Phish, Medeski Martin and Wood, Steely Dan, Umphrey's McGee (a very steadily growing band out of Chicago), Miles Davis, George Gershwin, Led Zeppelin, and Dave Brubeck.

Our major goal right now is to start gigging. We are only looking for somebody who is willing to dedicate the time and effort necessary to present a polished product to an audience. If interested, or if you know of anybody who might be interested, you can reach me by email at:

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but this seemed like the most appropriate.

I really look forward to hearing from some of you,

2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Welcome to Talkbass Bebob! :)

I'm going to move this one down to Miscellaneous, where it will probably get more replies.

Good luck!
  3. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I live in NW Indiana about 30 miles southeast, PLay the 4-string bass! But don't have the same influences! I play more country and southern rock, Country is my main focus!
  4. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    My brother lives in Chicago, but I'm stuck here in stupid Louisiana.. I have the same influences, too bad I can't just quit school and come play w/ you guys. I may be visiting this summer, maybe we could jam sometime.

5. delaybf

Sep 27, 2002
    Terre Haute
    Bebob, are you still looking?