1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for best fingerstyle funk book / video

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gladowsky, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    I have start this thread by saying how bored I am getting listening to the often one-dimensional approach of the slap technique. That dimension being so much emphasis on the rhythmic aspect and not the melodic and harmonic side of music. I say that roll should be left to the drummer. Go into any GC and you'll be listening in no time to some young punk trying to impress his girlfriend (or boy-friends) with the clank and clunk of the few riffs that he knows as he sits there abusing his fine instrument. On the other hand my ear is drawn immediately to anyone actually playing music on their instruments - chordal scale riffs, blues lines, etc.

Back to the point of this post: I'm looking for help in regards to the approach of the funk style but with fingers in the right hand. I'm looking for lessons in the form of quality, detailed books or videos. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(IMO: Marcus is the only human being who makes slap musical - clean, thick, melodic, and accurate).

2. mbeall

mbeall

Jun 25, 2003
    Rocco and Bootsy baby. Go buy some Tower of Power and Pfunk and get to transcribing.

3. +1 Rocco
    Rocco's got a great instructional video, probably more than 10 years old, but nonetheless very good.
    Gary Willis, super funky finger style, not exactly funky music though.
    Check out U.K. band Incognito.
    IMO best teachers are recordings.

4. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    Thanks all for the suggestions! I reread my initial post and thought it was a bit harsh towards slap. I realize slap done well is difficult and is truly an artful technique by itself. I just prefer bass "guitar" to sound like a bass and not like a cojon :)

I will definitely check out Rocco's instruction stuff and ... reload my Tower of Power Anthology CD set (disappeared from my iTunes since changing computers.