1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking for black tuners that fit 23/32" peghead holes... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sjhs, Apr 8, 2009.

1. i have an old Kramer Striker neck that I'm looking to use in a bass project, however when I measured the peghead holes they are 23/32" and it seems that tuners to fit this size aren't as common as I'd like. Is this a standard peghead hole size and am I just too stupid to find the available options? I see a bunch of tuners designed for 11/16", or smaller, peg head holes but the only ones specifically labelled as 23/32" are the stewmac adjustable tension tuners, but they are only available in a 2+2 set in black and i need 4 in line. Worst case scenario I could buy two 2+2 sets, but I'm not big on spending money that I don't have to if possible.

Am I missing something? Is this a standard Fender sizing, or a standard for some other manufacturer? I've had a look at the Fender site but can't see specs on the sizing of their tuners, and from other sites I've checked it looks like all the standard hipshot, gotoh and schaller options are not 23/32"

This is beginning to drive me mad, I realise my neck is about 20 years old and perhaps standards have changed since then? but it just seems weird that I can't seem to find anything, as I am a reasonably competant googler and spend most of my working day browsing sites trying to find tuners to fit ;)

ps. please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if it looks like I'm missing something obvious, I'm more than happy to have my ignorance pointed out if it also comes with a useful suggestion for appropriate tuners ;)

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    how loose would 11/16" posts sit in the 23/32" holes? might be so insignificant you can use standard 11/16"...if they aren't snug enough, maybe cut a strip of paper or tape to wrap them first?

3. true, i guess 1/32" is a pretty insignificant difference... i'm just a bit paranoid about laying out some cash for some decent tuners to find they'll wobble back and forth after a while, or have enough play to bend something... but there's nothing stopping me just shimming them so they pretty much fit.

does anyone know if the tension of the strings might end up affecting anything if i was to use 11/16" tuners? my guess is that as the tension is just in one direction that it would likely be fine, but that is purely a guess rather than an opinion based on any experience...

4. Billw97

Billw97

Feb 4, 2005
    Hipshot Tech
  5. ahh... excellent, mim at least gives me something more to search for... the hardest thing has been that i just didn't know useful search terms and googling 23/32 didn't give up too many results, other than those stewmac tuners... which look fine, but not sure if i need 8 tuners to get the 4 i need ;)

edit: searching for 18mm returns a lot of results for 11/16" (22/32") rather than 23/32" - would this indicate that the difference is pretty much insignificant?