Looking for Bocote Fretboard.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wyvern, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Wyvern

Wyvern

Jul 6, 2019
    Pinellas, FL
    I am having a Custom 36-34" bass made by a local Luthier, I'm already being a pain is the ass by asking for scarce but not expensive, beautiful wood. I Inquired about Pale moon, but that stuff is hen's teeth and pricey!

So I figured I would ask for help finding a Bocote FB blank to make his life easier.

If I'm not mistaken a 29-30" long, 3" wide and fretboard thick (I measured 15/64)

Having a hard time finding a blank.

Iv'e seen pretty reasonable prices for 24", but not sure if the length I'm looking for is going to be either impossible to find or expensive as hell.

Thanks in advance!

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I'm not in the US, but I've seen folks use bocote sourced from Woodcraft. Might be worth a call or trip to check it out? There's one not too far from Pinellas according to Google Maps... :D :smug:

postalflunkie likes this.
  3. Wyvern

Wyvern

Jul 6, 2019
    Pinellas, FL
    Thanks! They only show 24" but I'm sure they can custom cut. One day I would like to build my own!

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
  5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Shabbychicguitars is a seller on eBay that usually has some nice exotic boards.

They don’t have any bass sized blanks listed right now but you can send them a message.

6. Wyvern

Wyvern

Jul 6, 2019
    Pinellas, FL
    Cool, thanks for the help, I will forward this info to the builder. I'm sure he already has his resources, but I don't want to tick the guy off, I simply can't pay $3200 for the original quote with a black burst paintjob and pale moon- and actually after reading about pale moon, I don't think I would have him use it- this build I'm focusing on stability over the years because it's going to be neck-through.

From what I read bocote is stable, smooth, easy to glue and work- and looks badass.
    I'm going to have a Sepele and wenge stringer neck, because sepele is warm, stable and I like the wenge look and it will had some stiffness (hopefully it doesn't shift)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021