1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for budget 5'er with wide string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ironbar, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I need some suggestions from the knowledge base here. I have a fretless bass I'd like to trade in or perhaps sell outright in exchange for a budget 5 string with wide string spacing.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Fender Squire 5 String goes for next to nothing....and the string spacing is wide

eJake likes this.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Squier VM P5 is the way to go. They're out of production now so they're a little harder to find. I actually can't find ANY on reverb right now. If you can find one, they'll typically go for $350 or less. It seems the word is out about them being a quality instrument though, and people are holding on to them.

They still make the VM Jazz 5, but I assume the string spacing isn't as wide.

4. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Stingray 5.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I’m not sure what your idea of budget is, but um....

6. How budget is your budget?

Maybe a Lakland Skyline 55-02, otherwise Skyline 55-01 if you want to spend a little less.
    19mm wide spacing, one of the best feeling bass necks!

7. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I like wide spacing too. +1 for squier

8. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Late 1990's to early 2000's MIM Jazz 5 Strings are affordable.

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    o_O
    I guess one out of three ain't bad.

10. One man's budget bass is another man's pipe dream. You'll need to be more specific.

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Check out the Squier Deluxe Jazz V Active. It's a bit of a "unique lil' snowflake" amongst other Squier fivers, what with the 2" wide nut and flatter 12" radius, ebonol fretboard. At the moment, there are four of them available for about $250 on Guitar Center's used database.

Ironbar and smogg like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021